ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: The Showstopper Strikes Again

Jennifer Botterill Superb in the Clutch

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

Prior to this weekend, Jennifer Botterill already was the greatest overtime hero in Harvard women’s hockey history. She scored the game-winning goal in the 1999 National Championship and, astoundingly, also notched game-winners in all three of her Beanpot appearances against Northeastern.

As Sunday’s 2-1 victory over Providence proved, Botterill still has plenty of overtime magic left in her.

In the game’s final minute, the Friars controlled the puck in the Harvard zone. Any outcome better than a tie seemed unlikely for the No. 1-ranked Crimson. But then came Botterill, cutting down the middle at full speed, and away she went past the last two Providence defenders.

Botterill, given the breakaway opportunity, was not one to let it go to waste.

There was no doubt she’d come through for Harvard.

“It was awesome—I knew when she had the puck and she was in, she was going to score,” said captain Angela Ruggiero.

Botterill lived up to expectations by using a simple fake on Friar goaltender Jana Bugden. Making like she was going in on her backhand, Botterill switched the puck and delivered the quick shot with her forehand. The game was won, with Botterill celebrating the clincher yet again.

“It was a familiar ending—a familiar jersey putting the puck in the net,” said Harvard coach Katey Stone.

The ending may have been unfamiliar for Providence fans in attendance, but they saw firsthand what makes Botterill the nation’s leading scorer per game this season and the Patty Kazmaier winner and World Championship MVP two years ago. In those final seconds, Harvard’s fate was entirely in her hands. Oblivious to the pressure, Botterill came through again to win the game and preserve Harvard’s No. 1 ranking.