Bernakevitch Finds Niche On Top Line

By Elijah M. Alper, Crimson Staff Writer

NEW HAVEN, Conn.—With just one goal all season, sophomore forward Brendan Bernakevitch stuck out as a question mark on the Crimson’s top line. On Saturday he finally stuck out for the right reasons.

Bernakevitch was the hero in Harvard’s 6-3 win over No. 15 Yale, scoring two critical second-period goals to break a 2-2 tie. It was the sophomore’s first career multi-goal game, and the dual tallies equaled his scoring output from all of last season.

“That’s the way he’s capable of playing,” Mazzoleni said. “He has a very, very high end for us. He was our best forward tonight.”

That’s high praise coming from Mazzoleni, considering just three weeks ago Bernakevitch was squarely in the coach’s doghouse.

A shoulder injury limited Bernakevitch to only nine points in his freshman year. Offseason surgery fixed the injury, but it didn’t help his play early this season. Despite playing on Harvard’s top line, Bernakevitch notched only one assist in the Crimson’s first four games.

Things bottomed out Nov. 16 when Bernakevitch was benched after a subpar performance against St. Lawrence. After the game, Mazzoleni expressed his displeasure with the sophomore’s effort.

“I thought he was lazy out there,” Mazzoleni said. “I didn’t think he really brought his game. People have to understand that they have to work hard to stay in the linuep. I don’t think Brendan worked very hard in practice this week or in the game.”

Bernakevitch got the message.

“A lot of times I wouldn’t come out there with my mind fully on the game, and it showed,” Bernakevitch said. “I need to come into each game to play as hard as I can and play each shift like that. I’m putting a lot more time into getting ready and practicing, and it seems to be paying off.”

Bernakevitch was back on the top line with Moore and Packard Saturday. His size and speed provided the perfect complement to Moore’s playmaking ability.

“Dom’s the best setup man and puck carrier that I’ve ever played with,” Bernakevitch said. “I just have to get open and create space for him.”

Both goals showed Bernakevitch at his best as a power forward. Each score came at the end of a long Harvard offensive cycle. By the end, Yale’s defenders were just too tired to stay with Bernakevitch, and the sophomore converted on both chances.

Bernakevitch was just inches away from a rare natural hat trick. His shot on the power play hit the right post and lingered in the crease before being kicked out by Yale goaltender Peter Cohen.

“Once you get two goals, getting a hat trick is going through your head the entire time,” Bernakevitch said. “I actually thought my shot went in.”

Bernakevitch might have just missed his chance at a his third goal, but he has made the most of his second chance this season.

“I think he’s getting his confidence back,” junior Tim Pettit said. “He knows he can be a dominating force down low.”

—Staff writer Elijah M. Alper can be reached at alper@fas.harvard.edu.