Keeping Rank: Botterill Beats Friars in Final Seconds of OT

By David R. De remer, Crimson Staff Writer

PROVIDENCE, R.I.—All the clutching, grabbing, pressure and forced turnovers may have momentarily allowed Providence to obscure Harvard’s image as the nation’s No. 1 women’s hockey team, but the game’s overtime ending was the reoccurring image of the Crimson’s greatest success—captain Jennifer Botterill finishing a clean breakaway.

Botterill’s goal, with 15 seconds left in overtime, clinched the 2-1 victory and prevented No. 7 Providence from blemishing Harvard’s record (9-1) with a tie.

“That was beautiful,” said junior goaltender Jessica Ruddock of Botterill’s goal. “There’s nothing like being in overtime and seeing Bots go down on a breakaway.”

Botterill was set free as captain Jamie Hagerman worked the puck up to freshman Julie Chu, who put the puck right on Botterill’s backhand. Two defenders were in position to stop Botterill as she cut down the middle at full speed, but she kept on pressing ahead.

Providence’s freshman goaltender Jana Bugden had the last chance to save the game for the Friars, but she was no match for Botterill’s wits.

“I tried to make her think I was going on my backhand and then I went and made a quick shot with my forehand,” Botterill said. “I think I beat her before she was in a good position.”

Upon Botterill’s finish, Harvard redeemed itself from an otherwise disappointing result. The Crimson had led 1-0 for almost the entire game before allowing Providence (9-4-3) to tie with 2:42 left in regulation. Botterill also scored Harvard’s first goal.

“We were sloppy, we were lazy at times, but we found a way to win,” said Harvard coach Katey Stone. “That’s the mark of a good team, for sure.”

On the other end, Providence coach Bob Deraney called the loss gut-wrenching. Soon after the game’s end, he had already watched the game-winning goal on tape. He was left wondering what might have been had the puck bounced a different way off the wall at the start of the Harvard possession that led to the winning goal.

“It took the best player in the country to beat us—it’s a simple as that,” Deraney said. “Two great individual efforts by [Botterill] won them the hockey game.”

Providence managed to largely neutralize Harvard by playing its usual brand of physical hockey. The Friars play aggressively and rotate waves of players smoothly in and out of the bench.

“They were pressuring us the whole game, so we were forced to make quick decisions and move the puck real fast,” said captain Angela Ruggiero.

The Friars are also well known for hooking, holding and hitting at nearly every chance they get.

“Credit to them, they played us tough and physical and slowed us down a bit,” Botterill said. “I think that we learned from it and maybe next game we’ll come out with a little more of a complete game.”

Providence was especially successful with its forecheck. Large stretches of the game were played entirely in Harvard’s end—a rarity for the Crimson this season.

“We were lousy in the defensive zone—we need to clean it up,” Stone said. “Part of the problem is, we haven’t had to play there very much. As much as we’ve practiced, games are different.”

Despite their success in keeping the puck in Harvard’s end, the Friars’ forwards failed to threaten Ruddock with their chances.

Providence’s only goal came from a defenseman—Kelli Halcisak, a transfer from Ohio State who actually led the Buckeyes in scoring her freshman year. Harvard played into the Friars’ hands as Hockey East Player of the Month Jenn Butsch won the puck deep in the defensive zone and found Halcisak wide open at the point.

Halcisak had a clear look at the net, and Ruddock never saw the puck.

Both teams had their fair share of missed opportunities. Harvard was 0-for-8 on the power play, while Providence was 0-for-5. Both teams came up empty on lengthy two-man advantages—the Crimson’s lasted 30 seconds and the Friars’ lasted a full minute.

Harvard outshot Providence 32-21, but never generated any consistent pressure on the offensive end.

“I don’t think we really tested their goaltender,” Stone said. “I think she’s good. I don’t know how good she is.”

Harvard’s lone goal in regulation was the result of speedy effort in transition 14 minutes into the first period.

Sophomore Nicole Corriero nearly broke free on the breakaway, but could not quite handle puck. She recovered and passed back, and the first line worked to get a shot on the goal. Bugden left the rebound loose in the crease, and Botterill crashed the net and lifted the puck over Bugden’s outstretched legs for the goal.

Despite taking the early lead, Harvard could not put Providence away until nearly the last possible seconds. The Crimson appreciated the closeness of the game in some sense.

“You’ve got to have games like those where you face challenges,” Botterill said. “I think we learned a lot from it and we’ll be better for it down the road.”

—Staff writer David R. De Remer can be reached at remer@fas.harvard.edu.

W. HOCKEY 2, Providence 1 (OT)

at Schneider Arena

Harvard (9-1-0, 5-0-0 ECAC) 1 0 0 1 — 2

Providence (9-4-3, 4-0-1 Hockey East ) 0 0 1 0 — 1

First Period: H, Botterill (Corriero, Chu), 14:04.

Third Period: P, Halcisak (Butsch), 17:43.

Overtime: H, Botterill (Chu, Hagerman), 4:44 (GWG).

Shots: H 10-13-7-2 32, P 7-5-8-1 21.

Powerplay: H 0-5, P 0-8.

Goalies: H Ruddock (21-20),

P Bugden (32-30).

Attendance: 121.

W. HOCKEY 4, Northeastern 0

at Bright Hockey Center

Northeastern (5-8-2, 1-2-0 Hockey East) 0 0 0 — 1

Harvard (8-1-0, 5-0-0 ECAC) 1 2 1 — 4

First Period: H, Catlin (Hagerman, Botterill), 13:46.

Second Period: H, Ruggerio(unassisted), 5:10

H, Sweet (Catlin), 15:57.

Third Period: H, Chu (Catlin, Ruggerio), 12:33.

Shots: H 14-13-12 39, N 2-4-4 10.

Powerplay: H 2-6, R 0-4.

Goalies: H Ruddock (10-10),

N Gunn (39-35).

Attendance: 314.