W. Swimming Tops Columbia, But Falls to Tapered Quakers

By Timothy J. Mcginn, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s swimming and diving team suffered its first setback of the season on Saturday, defeating Columbia 173-127 in one leg of an Ivy tri-meet, but losing to rising power Penn 179-121 in the other.

Unlike the two previous meets, in which the Crimson had won the lion’s share of races, Harvard’s swimmers could manage victories in only two events—the 100-meter butterfly, won by junior Kate Nadeau in 57.98 seconds, and the 1-meter diving competition, won by sophomore Anne Osmun.

Nadeau posted the strongest results for the Crimson, taking second in the 200-meter butterfly in addition to her victory.

The Crimson (4-1, 4-1 Ivy) was unable to build any momentum from the onset, winning for the first time in event 14.

The Quakers (5-1, 3-1) dominated the meet from start to finish, winning six of the first seven races, and 11 of the 14 non-exhibition swimming events.

The Quakers also captured second in five of the races. With Nadeau winning the only race for Harvard, the Crimson was unable to mount a defense to Penn’s onslaught, despite seven second-place finishes among Saturday’s events.

“This weekend was particularly hard because we knew Penn was rested,” Nadeau said. “After Penn won the first relay, people had low spirits. It’s hard when they’re clearly dominating the races.”

Those second-place finishes, however, did ensure that Harvard did not return from Philadelphia empty-handed.

While Columbia (3-2, 1-2) won two races and the 3-meter diving event, compared to Harvard’s two victories, the Lions managed only two second-place finishes, giving the Crimson the overall edge in head-to-head matchups.

The results of both this and last weekend indicate a level of parity at the top of the Ivy League which could result in any number of outcomes for the rest of the season.

That parity may be thrown off as the season progresses, however.

The Quakers designed their schedule so that the squad would have maximum rest prior to each of the tri-meets, while the Crimson meets are planned so that the team will hit its stride to the fullest at season’s end.

“Penn rested for us,” Nadeau said. “They tapered and shaved. This is not an indication of how the Ivy League Championships will finish out.”

With its victory over Brown and loss to Penn, the Harvard squad finds itself in the thick of the hunt for the Ivy title, and with Princeton and Yale left on its schedule, the Crimson has the capacity to guide its own destiny. The Ivy championship meet is still months away.

“I think the team’s outlook is still really positive,” Osmun said. “I still think we can win the Ivy title.”

The Crimson next takes to the water against Northeastern on Saturday in Blodgett Pool.

PWNN 179, W. Swimming 121

W. Swimming 173, Columbia 127

(all distances in yards)

200 Medley Relay: 3. Harvard A 1:48.20 (Brethauer, DeBenedetto, Fraser, Ward) 1000 Freestyle: 2. White 10:16.70 200 Freestyle: 3. Chang 1:54.33 100 Breaststroke: 3. Evans 1:06.42 200 Butterfly: 2. Nadeau 2:05.09 100 Freestyle: 2. Ward 53.03 200 Backstroke: 2. Stapleton 2:05.57, 3. Bright 2:06.93 500 Freestyle: 2. White 5:02.29, 3. Chang 5:03.61100 Butterfly: 1. Nadeau 57.98 400 IM: 2. Evans 4:27.87 400 Freestyle Relay: 2. Harvard A 3:34.12 (Ward, Davies, Chang, Mulkey) One-Meter Diving: 1. Osmun 251.55 Three-Meter Diving: 2. Paradise 261.75