M. Volleyball Drops Disappointing Match

Crimson squanders two-game lead, continues to slide in EIVA race

By Lande A. Spottswood, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard men’s volleyball team’s frustration was evident at the Malkin Athletic Center yesterday, as it squandered a 2-0 lead to fall 3-2 to Sacred Heart.

The loss was the sixth in seven matches for the Crimson (3-6, 2-4 EIVA Hay) after a 2-0 start.

“You take it as a learning experience for dealing with adversity,” said Harvard Coach Tom Wilson. “Anytime you lose a match where you are clearly in control it is extremely frustrating. How you respond to that frustration is really important. With the guys we have, I think we’ll respond well.”

Down 13-10 in the tiebreak fifth game, the Crimson took three of the next four points on kills by co-captain middle blocker Justin Denham and freshman outside hitter Juan Ramos. Ramos’ kill pulled Harvard within one at 14-13, but a kill error by Denham gave the Pioneers (9-6) the point and the match.

“I definitely agree [that we will respond well to the defeat],” said freshman middle blocker Abe Marouf. “In rough times [some of us] shut down, but coach told us no more of that. No more excuses.”

After taking the first game, 30-26, and the second, 30-24, the Crimson watched as the Pioneers seized the momentum and strung together two easy victories, 30-15 and 30-17, to set up the tiebreak.

“We lost a little intensity and they picked up a lot of intensity,” Wilson said. “You’ve got to give them credit. They stepped up and made the plays the last three games.”

Senior outside hitter Josh Swan led the Pioneers’ comeback, posting 24 kills, seven in the pivotal third game alone.

Denham, who according to Wilson was playing at only “about 70 percent” while recovering from a back injury, led Harvard in kills with 16 and blocks with seven. Marouf also chipped in 11 kills despite straining an abdominal muscle in Saturday’s loss to NYU.

The Crimson suffered from the absence of freshman outside hitter Will Reppun, who is recovering from a sprained ankle and did not dress for the game. However, Wilson refused to blame the loss on injuries.

“Injuries or not, when you are up 2-0 you have to win the match,” said Wilson.

The Crimson gave itself the opportunity to do so when, after going down 15-10 to open the match, it reeled off five straight points to tie the game. The tying point came on a monster joint block from Denham and Marouf off a Matthew Snyder kill attempt.

The score then remained close until Harvard took the lead for good late in the game. Down 26-25, the Crimson reeled off five straight points to take the game on the strength of six of junior middle blocker Alex Kowell’s 11 kills.

The second game was similar to the first, as the Crimson and the Pioneers battled to a 24-24 tie before freshman outside hitter Juan Ramos tricked the Sacred Heart defense, tapping the ball over the heads of the Pioneer blockers leaping at the net to put the Crimson up 25-24. Consecutive blocks by Denham gave Harvard its 27th and 28th points, and kills by Ramos and sophomore opposite Russ Mosier sealed the 30-24 victory.

Junior co-captain setter Mike Bookman posted team-highs with 44 assists and 8 digs on the match.

The Crimson returns to action this weekend when it hosts New Paltz in a non-divisional contest at 4 p.m. at the MAC.

According to Wilson, Reppun will see his first game action in three weeks, and Marouf says he should be back to 100 percent.