Panel Jokes, Hashes Out Religious Issues

By Sarah S. Burg, Crimson Staff Writer

Three religious leaders of different faiths gathered before nearly 25 audience members last night at Harvard Hillel’s Rosovsky Hall to discuss how members of some of the world’s major religions—Christianity, Islam and Judaism—perceive each other.

Father Tom Brennan, Rabbi Norman Janis ’62, and Professor of the Practice of Indo-Muslim Languages and Cultures Ali S.A. Asani ’77, who comprised the panel, first fielded questions of religious doctrine but later came to address religious conflict in contemporary America.

“We have a priest, a rabbi, and a Muslim professor. This is not a joke,” quipped Harpaul Alberto Kohli ’02-’03, moderator and chair of the Catholic Students Association’s (CSA) Interfaith Committee.

To begin the dialogue, all three leaders emphasized the importance of diversity in their faiths.

According to Asani, “diversity is a sign of divine genius...the human heart is very narrow, part of living in the world is learning to broaden your heart.”

Brennan said the Catholic Church’s acceptance of other religions has increased steadily over time.

“Today, the Church sees truth in all religions, and the possibility of being saved in all religions,” Brennan said.

Janis indicated that Jews are content to live among people of other religions.

“I don’t think Jews care what other faiths are doing, just whether they are law-abiding,” Janis said.

In what became the only controversial question of the night, CSA member Jane M. Caflisch ’05, asked the panelists to speak about their religions’ views toward intermarriage.

Asani said that, according to the Koran, it is not a sin to marry outside the Islamic faith.

“In the Koran, marriage is not a sacrament, it’s a social contract,” Asani said.

Brennan, too, said he did not see intermarriage as a problem for Catholics.

“It is not a sin in Catholicism to marry outside the Church,” Brennan said.

But Janis said he would not be willing to perform an interfaith marriage ceremony, though he would welcome an interfaith couple into his congregation after they had been married.

“Jews have always been a small group, so intermarriage carries with it the threat of dissolution,” Janis said.

Caflisch said she found Janis’ answer to her question problematic.

“A couple needs to get an affirmation from the beginning,” she said.

Despite these minor religious differences, both panelists and audience members described the evening as a useful exchange of ideas.

Hillel member Rachel A. Stein ’04 said she felt the panel was educational.

“It was especially interesiting that they incorporated different textual references,” Stein said, referring to the panelists’ allusions to the Bible and the Koran.

The panel was organized by InterAction, a group consisting of representatives from the CSA, from Hillel and from the Harvard Islamic Society.