BSA Elects New Board, Emphasizes Political Activism

By Ravi Agrawal, Crimson Staff Writer

The Black Students Association (BSA) announced its new 2002-03 board yesterday after a Saturday election that saw its closest-ever presidential race.

Charles M. G. Moore ’04 beat out two other candidates for the group’s top job with 51 percent of the vote.

Moore, who served as vice president of the Black Men’s Forum this past year, said his primary goals as president would be to strengthen the BSA’s alumni network and to fundraise.

He takes over for Brandon A. Gayle ’03, whose help in mobilizing support for the retention of Fletcher University Professor Cornel R. West ’74 perhaps most vividly demonstrated his committment to increasing the group’s political activism.

Under Gayle’s leadership, the BSA also relaunched the Boston Black Students Network, a loose coalition of campus groups intended to foster community for black students in the area.

Fred O. Smith ’04, the BSA’s newly elected vice-president and its former political action chair, said he wants to “make the political component of the BSA a more permanent characteristic feature.” Smith is also co-chair of the Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgendered and Supporters Alliance.

In the election’s only other contested races—only three of 11 positions contested—Anne M. Morris ’04 was named alumni chair, also with 51 percent of the vote, and Toussaint G. Losier ’04 was elected political action series chair.

The other new BSA board members are: Angela A. Amos ’05, secretary; Zachary D. Raynor ’05, arts and entertainment chair; Theodore L. Wright ’04, public service chair; Olamipe I. Okunseinde ’04, publicity chair; Marques J. Redd ’04, publications chair; and Justin H. Alexander ’03, senior representative.

Smith said that he does not see lack of contestation in its elections as a problem for the group.

“Six people had originally stated their intent to stand for the post of vice-president. Candidates often defer to other people whom they feel would be able to do a better job,” Smith said.

The BSA’s incoming treasurer, Jamilah R. Ryan ’05, agreed that the dearth of candidates was “not a worrying sign.”

“It’s a really big time commitment, and many people have other extra-curricular activities to consider,” Ryan said.

In last year’s BSA elections, only one position was contested.

Staff writer Ravi P. Agrawal can be reached at agrawal@fas.harvard.edu.