Springfest Scores Big

In a departure from recent years, last weekend’s Springfest was a resounding success

By The CRIMSON Staff

The pleasant, family-friendly atmosphere in the MAC Quad on Saturday attracted Harvard undergraduates, faculty and staff—and their families, of all ages. It was especially nice that the children of University workers were invited and encouraged to participate in a day of fun and relaxation. The Lowell courtyard kids area featured an eclectic mix of different activities geared to the younger crowd, a nice touch by the University.

For those who long ago outgrew face painting, the variety of rides was excellent. From the Rocky Mountain Climb to the Moonbounce to Human Foosball, undergraduates deserted the libraries for a day to box and bounce to their heart’s content. These were certainly a huge improvement from last year’s ill-fated amusements, most notoriously the Log Toss.

The rides and activities were complemented by plentiful, tasty food and lively music.

Ah, The Verve Pipe. Those Harvard students nostalgic for the days of junior high no doubt enjoyed the sounds of this Michigan-based pop quintet, still coasting on the laurels of their 1996 hit song “The Freshmen.” While no one confused them for the Beatles, they did perform a solid cover of “I Am the Walrus” and the ageless Bush classic “Come Down.”

In addition to the Verve Pipe, the student bands at Springfest also featured impressive music. The opening bands—Invisible Downtown, Un Poquito Mas and Diaco—drew throngs of cheering students even before the main act came onstage.

Most of the credit for Springfest goes to the Undergraduate Council, whose members spent countless hours preparing for this event.

University President Lawrence H. Summers also deserves thanks for allocating the necessary funding to make Springfest a success. Summers spoke with his wallet and mingled with undergraduates, which was appreciated—but next year, maybe someone can arrange for Fletcher University Professor Cornel R. West ’74 to return to Cambridge for a weekend and engage Summers in a friendly Pedastool Joust.