W. Golf Takes State Championship

By Jessica T. Lee, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s golf team captured its second consecutive Massachusetts Intercollegiate Championship on Friday afternoon at the Orchards in South Hadley, Mass.

Sophomore Meredith Chiampa earned first place after shooting a round of 80, eight strokes above par. The score tied her with Boston College’s Roxanne Somboonsiri for the top spot, forcing a playoff. Chiampa won the title on the second playoff hole.

The Crimson amassed a team total of 345 points on the strength of its five competitors, all of whom placed in the top 18 individually in the 32-woman field. All five of the Harvard golfers also finished ahead of the top scorers for Holy Cross and Wellesley.

The Eagles trailed by just six points at 351 while Amherst took third with 362 points. BU followed with 385, while Mount Holyoke, Wellesley and Holy Cross lagged at the bottom of the standings.

Freshman Jeen-Joo Kang sat among the top scorers, tied for third with Kathryn Kuchefski of Amherst at 84. Sophomore Eliza Schaar finished a few strokes behind, at 89, for a two-way tie for seventh with Audry Longo, Mount Holyoke’s top scorer.

The Crimson spent the rest of the weekend at Hickory Ridge, competing in the Northeast Championsips. Harvard finished fourth out of the fifteen participants.