A Good Step for the Corporation

Rubin’s addition, Winokur’s resignation improve Harvard’s highest governing body

By The CRIMSON Staff, THE CRIMSON STAFF

It was a busy weekend for the Harvard Corporation. Herbert S. “Pug” Winokur ’64-’65 thankfully stepped down, citing his involvement with the Enron fiasco. Winokur’s resignation came after he realized what has been painfully evident for a long time: his ability to serve on the Harvard Corporation, where he was responsible for protecting and overseeing the best interests of the University and its students, had been fatally compromised by his connection to Enron’s collapse in 2001. Winokur chose to step down at a moment when criticism of him on campus had died down and, although it is regrettable that Winokur delayed his resignation for so long, his departure on June 30 will be a step in the right direction for the Harvard Corporation.

Another welcome move was the Board of Overseers’ confirmation of Robert E. Rubin ’60 as the newest member of the Corporation. Rubin, University President Lawrence H. Summers’ predecessor as Secretary of the Treasury, is a respected social and intellectual leader whose appointment should add not only prestige but also drive to the Corporation. Rubin’s history of government service makes him a welcome appointment for a job that will require public-spirited leadership.

At first glance, Rubin’s appointment to the Corporation—which oversees the University President—might seem problematic due to Rubin’s close relationship with Summers. They were close friends in Washington, D.C., and Rubin was, by many accounts, a strong and influential advocate for Summers during last year’s presidential search. However, there is no evidence to suggest that Rubin’s appointment was made because of his connection to Summers; Rubin’s personal qualifications speak for themselves. The Corporation clearly felt that Rubin was a capable replacement for Robert G. Stone Jr. ’45 and have, according to Rubin, been wooing him since 1997 to take a position.

At a time when Summers is seeking to carry out ambitious projects—such as expanding into Allston, reforming undergraduate education and strengthening the University’s focus on science—in order to energize and improve Harvard, Rubin will be a welcome ally. His trusted counsel, shrewd knowledge of politics and similar outlook will help to give force to initiatives which might otherwise languish in the face of bureaucratic opposition and inertia. Just as he did at the Treasury, Rubin will have to use his judgement to weigh Summers’ proposals on their own merits, not on the basis of their personal friendship. We have every expectation that he will do so.

Rubin’s appointment, however, does raise some serious questions about the nature of search committees at Harvard. Many of the fears that Rubin was chosen mainly because of his personal connection with Summers could have been allayed by a transparent selection process.

Student and Faculty input on these decisions would be welcome, and one of the Corporation’s most immediate priorities must now be to reform the undemocratic and murky system of selection. The Corporation will soon begin the search for Winokur’s successor, and they must trust the Harvard community enough to give it a voice in the decision.

It is also in Harvard’s interest that the Corporation effectively resemble the community that it represents. The search for Winokur’s successor must take a long, serious look at women and minority candidates, and it would be heartening to see one of them appointed. Increasing the Corporation’s diversity would be an impressive way to build upon a positive weekend of changes for Harvard’s highest governing body.