Gomes, Pomey Unseen in Winthrop House Procession

By Amit R. Paley, Crimson Staff Writer

On Commencement Day, about 100 Winthrop House seniors clad in cap and gown marched after a five-piece band playing “When the Saints Go Marching In” and entered Harvard Yard for Commencement.

Randy J. Gomes and Suzanne M. Pomey—former members of the Class of 2002 who lived in Winthrop and allegedly embezzled almost $100,000 from the Hasty Pudding Theatricals—did not march with them.

Although The Crimson learned three days previous to Commencement that the two would not receive degrees from the College, there was speculation that one or both might decide to march with their classmates nonetheless.

But Gomes and Pomey were not among the members of the Winthrop House procession holding bottles of champagne, cameras, umbrellas, croissants and copies of The Crimson as they marched down Holyoke Street.

It is unclear whether their absence was voluntary or required by the College.

Even if students are not receiving degrees, a House may decide to let them “robe up and march with their classmates,” according to Secretary of the Administrative Board David B. Fithian.

But Courtney B. Lamberth, senior tutor of Winthrop House, said the House administration would not comment on the decision in this case because it would violate student confidentiality.

Gomes and Pomey did not respond to numerous requests for comment.

Both were scheduled to appear in court on June 17, but their appearance was delayed until August 6, at the request of the prosecution.

—Staff writer Amit R. Paley can be reached at paley@fas.harvard.edu.