W. Hockey Claims Fourth Straight Beanpot Title, Without Olympians

Junior winger TRACY CATLIN was named Beanpot Most Valuable Player after scoring six points for the tournament.
By David Weinfeld, Crimson Staff Writer

Many naysayers wrote off this year’s Harvard women’s hockey team as a wait till next year kind of club due to the absence of its Olympic athletes. But the members of the team played as if this was their year, putting together a fine season, capturing a Beanpot Championship and raising expectations even higher for the future.

Next season, three Olympians—defenseman Angela Ruggiero ’02-’04 (U.S.) and forwards Jennifer Botterill ’02-’03 (Canada) and Julie Chu ’06 (USA)—plus a large recruiting class will improve an already potent squad.

Minus the Olympians, the Crimson (18-11-2, 9-5-2 ECAC North), swept Princeton in the first round of the ECAC North playoffs and ultimately lost to Dartmouth 4-2 in the semifinals.

But there were surprises. Among them was that Harvard still managed to lead the nation in power play proficiency at 24.8 percent even with all of its losses to the Olympics and graduation.

The highlight of the year was Harvard’s fourth straight Beanpot title. In the tournament semifinals, the Crimson stunned heavily favored host Northeastern, which was ranked second in the nation at the time. It was also the fourth straight year Harvard had beaten the Huskies in overtime. While Botterill had been the hero each of the past three years, this time it was sophomore winger Lauren McAuliffe achieving the feat.

The following week, the Crimson destroyed Boston College 7-2 to capture the title. Junior center Tracy Catlin had six points (four goals, two assists) for the tournament and was named MVP.

“It was a very exciting this year, and since we were the underdogs, it was the most rewarding one,” Catlin said.

Harvard senior goaltender Alison Kuusisto won the Joseph D. Bertagna Award for most valuable Beanpot goalie. Kuusisto platooned with sophomore Jessica Ruddock during the first half of the season, becoming the full-time netminder when Ruddock went down with a midseason hip injury. Kuusisto became the first Harvard player to win four Beanpots.

“It’s a really special thing for me, not just winning, but being on the Harvard team for four years,” Kuusisto said. “A lot of people had doubted us at the beginning of the year, but we’ve come out fighting and playing really well together.”

Kuusisto and Catlin (13-14-27) were among several Crimson players that turned in career years. Junior center Kalen Ingram (14-34-48) led the nation with 1.1 assists per game and finished fifth in the nation in overall scoring.

Junior defensemen Pamela Van Reesema (6-18-24) and team captain Jamie Hagerman (4-19-23) finished third and fourth in the league in scoring among defensemen.

The most pleasant surprise this year was the emergence of freshman winger Nicole Corriero. On Nov. 10, Corriero exploded for four goals in a 5-0 victory over Vermont.

“I can’t explain it,” Corriero said after the game. “Sometimes you’re always at the right spot at the right time. Sometimes the bounces go your way and sometimes they don’t. This was one of the nights when they did. I’m in shock right now.”

Apparently, the bounces would go her way for most of the season, as Corriero (32-30-62) shocked the nation, finishing second in goals and points. She led all rookies in goals, assists and points and led the league in power play goals and points. At the end of the season, she was named a Second Team All-American.

Notable freshman performances also came from winger Kat Sweet (10-8-18) and defender Ashley Banfield (3-9-12). Sweet’s strong play brought her up to the power play line by season’s end. Banfield, injured for much of the year, displayed some fancy moves and a scoring touch upon returning to the lineup.

The Crimson was somewhat inconsistent this year. Harvard posted wins over top teams, including national No. 2 Brown and No. 3 Niagara. On the flip side, they lost games they should have won against Princeton and Cornell and tied a first-year Division I program in Colgate.

That inconsistency should vanish next year. With Ruggiero in to solidify the defense, Botterill and Chu adding to an already potent offense and Ruddock to return in goal, the only bleakness in the Crimson’s future may be the cold, Minnesota weather on their trip to the Frozen Four in Duluth next March.

WOMEN'S HOCKEY

RECORD 18-11-2 (9-5-2 ECAC North, 4th place)

COACH Katey Stone

Captain Jamie Hagerman

Highlights Freshman winger Nicole Corriero earns Second Team All-American honors and places second in nation in goals and points per game. Junior center Kalen Ingram leads the nation in assists per game.