Face-Off Settled: Romney vs. O’Brien

Reich, Birmingham finish well behind

State Treasurer SHANNON P. O’BRIEN celebrates her victory in yesterday’s Democratic gubernatorial primary.
By David S. Hirsch and Christopher M. Loomis, SPECIAL TO THE CRIMSONs

BOSTON—State Treasurer Shannon P. O’Brien comfortably defeated three Democratic opponents in yesterday’s primary election, setting up her challenge to Republican W. Mitt Romney in the Nov. 5 general election.

The Democratic challengers conceded amiably last night and pledged to endorse her candidacy. And O’Brien, who won 33 percent of the vote, returned their sentiments after the most expensive primary season in the state’s history.

“I want to salute my Democratic opponents for all that they have done for our state,” she said.

In another key primary battle, Romney’s running mate Kerry M. Healey ’82 gained a landslide victory over conservative challenger James Rappaport.

Healey and Rappaport had been in a dead heat in recent polls, though last night she surprised pollsters by garnering 64 percent of the vote.

O’Brien finished ahead of Robert B. Reich (25 percent), Thomas F. Birmingham ’72 (24 percent) and Warren E. Tolman (18 percent).

At her victory party in Boston, mate Kerry M. Healey ’82 gained a landslide victory over conservative challenger James Rappaport.

At her victory party in Boston, O’Brien appeared assured of a victory that observers had widely predicted. Already lined up to deliver congratulations were U.S. Senators John Kerry (D-Ma.) and Edward M. Kennedy ’54-’56 (D-Ma.) and her runnning mate, Chris F. Gabrieli ’81, who handily won his primary race.

“I want to tell you something: I’m the only one in this room to run against...Mitt Romney,” Kennedy said to cheers. “And Shannon O’Brien is our next governor.”

O’Brien’s campaign manager, Dwight Robson, told The Crimson the party was stronger for having been through a competitive primary.

“The Democratic Party did not anoint a candidate,” he said. “I think Shannon O’Brien and Chris Gabrieli are better candidates for going through it and becoming battle-ready.”

He said the pair would be at commuter rail stations tomorrow morning to thanks voters for their support and rally for party unity.

But last night the nominees settled for greeting supporters in the America Ballroom of the Westin Copley Square, where two giant video screens displayed news coverage of primary night and volunteers snacked on roasted red pepper hummus.

In the midst of it all, Gabrieli took a concession call from Lois G. Pines, the runner-up in the Democratic race for lieutenant governor, and offered knowing advice.

“Enjoy your morning off [tomorrow],” he said over his cell phone between TV interviews.

Surprise Second

Across town in Cambridge, the “Reich Reform Express” came to a halt six weeks ahead of schedule last night.

He had conducted a grassroots effort on his blue bus, which he called the “Reich Reform Express,” and generated widespread support on the Harvard campus.

But the 300 Reich supporters gathered at the Cambridge VFW Post last night remained resilient to the end, even as Tolman and Birmingham conceded.

As Reich entered the hall just after 11 p.m., onlookers shouted, “We want Bob!” to which Reich replied, “Well, you’re not going to get me.”

He immediately endorsed O’Brien and thanked his campaign staff, among them a half-dozen Harvard students who worked as interns over the summer.

He emphasized their impact on the campaign and on state politics as a whole, saying the opportunity remained for students to make a difference in the party agenda.

“The party is nothing more and nothing less than the people who belong to it,” he said. “To the extent to which students—particularly progressive students—remain involved the party will become more progressive and it will reflect students’ ideals.”

This was the first political campaign for many Reich volunteers, and for them last night brought disappointment but not disillusionment.

“I’m...disappointed but holding my head high. The reality is that I think we had quite a run,” said Eliot J. Rushovich ’03, who drove the campaign bus this summer.

Rushovich also said he and many of his fellow Reich campaign workers would actively work to help O’Brien.

“The reality is that I don’t think any of us really want to see Romney win the gubernatorial race in November,” he said.

Reich, along with Birmingham and Tolman, will gather for a “Unity News Conference” at the Omni Parker House tomorrow morning to rally support for O’Brien.

The Road to November

Unity will be important for Democrats, who have been locked out of the corner office for the past 12 years and face an uphill battle to regain the keys.

Mitt Romney’s handsome appearance, Olympic fame and seemingly bottomless warchest—fueled by strong fundraising and the candidate’s considerable personal fortune—will present significant hurdles to O’Brien come November.

For both candidates, victory lies in capturing the center—the state’s large body of independent and politically moderate voters.

Residents who are registered to vote but not enrolled in a party number almost two million, according to an October 2000 survey by state officials. They significantly outnumber the total number of registered voters in either the Democratic or Republican party.

O’Brien and Romney must both create a moderate platform that appeals to the centrist vote, while at the same time maintaining an ideological commitment to their respective party’s base of support.

And as of last night that battle has already begun.

In her victory speech, O’Brien took aim at her November opponent and crafted moderate stance.

“My friends this election offers the people of Massachusetts a clear choice,” she said, “a choice between someone who is masquerading as a moderate...and a fiscally responsible Democrat who has always believed that government must be a catalyst to help all people help themselves.”

—Staff writer David S. Hirsch can be reached at hirsch@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Christopher M. Loomis can be reached at cloomis@fas.harvard.edu.