Indian Actor, Politician Discusses Country's Issues

By Gaurav Banka, Contributing Writer

Indian film star and senior parliament member Sunil Dutt told a packed Ticknor Lounge Friday of the many political and social issues facing his country.

Dutt addressed ethnic relations, nuclear weapons proliferation, AIDS prevention and cancer treatment in India.

The legislator condemned the ongoing tension between Muslims and Hindus in India, which led to recent violence in the state of Gujarat.

“We must educate people that God brought us here to help mankind...religion is simply planted onto us,” Dutt said.

He also denounced the nuclear arms race in which India has recently become involved. Dutt said the world’s leading countries must push other countries toward total disarmament.

Much of Dutt’s speech, however, focused away from issues of state and politics and instead on the Sunnit Dutt Cancer Foundation, which he founded in honor of his wife who died of cancer.

Dutt said his wife’s dream was to make cancer treatment available to millions of poor people in India and throughout the world.

He said his wife did not feel right being treated in the U.S. while millions of India’s poor could not afford any treatment.

The foundation, he said, has raised $5 million for medical equipment and enough money for three “mobile hospitals” that go to villages throughout India and provide residents with medical treatment.

He added that he hopes Boston will be an important source of fundraising for his foundation.

Dutt rose to acting prominence in India’s commercial movie industry, commonly known as Bollywood, after his role in the Indian classic Mother India.

It was in this film that he played opposite of his future wife.

“I grew up watching Sunil Dutt playing in Mother India,” said audience member Saritha Komatireddy ’05. “It is a classic film about struggle and endurance. Hearing him speak, you hear the same spirit. It’s admirable.”

Despite his acting success, Dutt said he felt drawn to politics because he wanted to help maintain Indian unity.

“Service to the people is the most important thing,” Dutt added.