ATHLETE OF THE WEEK: Record Setting Weekend for Corriero

By John R. Hein, Crimson Staff Writer

In light of Harvard’s lackluster showing in every other athletic event this weekend, junior winger Nicole Corriero could have been named the team of the week. Of course, she only accounted for nine of the 24 goals scored by the women’s hockey team against Union.

Corriero’s combined 16 points this weekend was more offense than the football team could muster against Columbia (13 points), more than the men’s hockey team could score in two games (eight), and more than the women’s field hockey team, men’s soccer team and women’s soccer teams scored combined (seven).

Not only did she break the school record of five goals in a single game, netting six Friday night, but Corriero also tied Jennifer Botterill’s ’03 record of points in a single game with 10.

“I don’t think I did anything special in either game,” Corriero said. “I was just in the right place at the right time. Everything seemed to click.”

Corriero attributes most of her own success to the chemistry between her linemates and herself, recalling the goal that completed her hat trick in the second game against the Dutchwomen.

“Ali Crum was breaking down the ice, and I didn’t even have to call for the puck,” Corriero said. “We can kind of look at each other and know what to do. I just stuck my stick out and hit the puck into the net. It’s amazing when you can have that much chemistry after only playing with one another for a week.”

Corriero also showed she can get the job done under pressure. Two of her Friday night goals came shorthanded, while one came on the nation’s best power play.

She didn’t let up on Saturday night, notching her seventh goal of the weekend and first of the game just 57 seconds from the drop of the puck, en route to a first period hat trick.

“Every time Nicole came out on the ice, she controlled the game,” said junior forward Kat Sweet. “She completely dominated out there.”

The flurry of goals came in the absence of the team’s Olympic duo, sophomore Julie Chu and captain Angela Ruggerio, who were in Sweden representing the United States in the Four Nation’s Cup.

The duo finished one and two in scoring behind Botterill last season.

“A common misconception is that beyond the Olympians, the team doesn’t have a lot of depth or firepower,” Corriero said. “But we have a lot of scoring power and a lot of promise for this year. Different players step up and take charge all the time.”

Corriero will need to play a big part in Harvard’s success if the Crimson can advance to the Frozen Four in Providence.

But if week one of the season is any indication, the team looks to be in good hands.

—JOHN R. HEIN

Women's Ice Hockey