Cancer Returns For HUDS Staffer

By Peter Zuckerman, Contributing Writer

Within a year of her return to the Quad after a battle with cancer, Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS) employee Maria R. Guerrero has left the University indefinitely to fight a relapse of the cancer.

She did not leave the Quad without a bang, though. Last Wednesday, her final day at Cabot, students threw Guerrero a party at the dining hall.

Guerrero, who has worked in the Quad since coming to Harvard in 2001, was first diagnosed with cancer in April 2002.

In late May 2002, Guerrero left Celeris—the Cabot House convenience store where she had served as a clerk—to undergo and recover from an operation that removed a malignant tumor in her jaw.

She underwent a successful chemotherapy treatment and returned to Harvard in December 2002.

However, she was no longer able to handle the night shift at the convenience store.

“She felt working late at night was tough,” said Steve R. Sandblom, HUDS general manager at Cabot and Pforzheimer Houses. However, she was able to take advantage of an opening at the Cabot dining hall for the 11 a.m. to 8 p.m. shift.

About a month ago, Guerrero began to complain of pain and fatigue.

Subsequent visits to the doctor indicated that her cancer was no longer in remission and was, in fact, spreading aggressively, according to Anabela Pappas, a Cabot supervisor and close friend of Guerrero.

Doctors told Guerrero to stop working and spend more time with her two daughters, Ericka, 16, and Karen, 11, Pappas said.

Indeed, throughout the last month, both students, faculty and HUDS employees have been incredibly supportive of her, said Judith R. Della Barba, HUDS director of human resources.

“They have been incredibly instrumental in working with Maria in putting her two girls and her in the best situation possible,” Della Barba said.

HUDS is now collaborating with Harvard Real Estate Services to find affordable housing for Guerrero and her two daughters, who are currently squeezed into one bedroom of a two bedroom apartment in Allston.

Guerrero’s living quarters are filled with cards and other expressions of good will from students, Pappas said, calling these members of the Harvard community “phenomenal.”

Both Pappas and Della Barba are hoping that the community will continue to help Guerrero and her family.

This week one of Della Barba’s associates set up an account for her at the Harvard Credit Union to which donations will be directed.

In addition, Della Barba said donations on Guerrero’s behalf can be sent to her via Jan Volz at 65 Winthrop Street, the HUDS administrative office.

Della Barba is confident that Harvard will continue to provide for Guerrero, a woman whom she greatly admires.

“She has such an incredibly positive attitude,” Della Barba said. “She just lights up the room when she walks in it. You look at her, and it puts a lot of things into perspective.”

—Nadia Oussayef contributed to the reporting of this story.