College Dems Elect New Board

By Jonathan P. Hay, Contributing Writer

In a tense, five-hour election Wednesday night, the Harvard College Democrats voted in new leaders who vowed to send thousands of students to campaign in New Hampshire.

Andrew J. Frank ’05 will lead the group as president, with a platform that emphasized increasing active membership. He beat Michael B. Firestone ’05 in a two-horse race, after a third presidential candidate dropped out to support Firestone just hours before the election.

“It’s time to do more in 2004.” Frank announced to the crowd. “We must defeat the worst president America’s ever not elected.”

Frank spoke passionately, about the importance of working with other liberal campus groups and forming a political action committee.

He advocated raising funds through pledge drives, eliciting a few chuckles from the audience when he suggested members donate money every time President Bush tells a lie.

“Andy is going to do a tremendous job,” said Firestone, who sat with his head in his hands after the results were announced.

Former Treasurer Joel C. Washington ’05 surprised many of the members by not running—deciding instead to support his roommate, Firestone.

“I thought Mike was the best person for the job,” said Washington, who also dropped out of the vice presidential race to support Firestone’s ultimately successful bid for that position.

“I’m happy and excited to be back in the organization,” Firestone said.

Washington was later elected to the board as projects director.

Results for other top positions include Angela A. Guerrero ’06 as treasurer and Gregory M. Schmidt ’06 as campaigns director.

The rest of the board includes: Elizabeth A. Goldschmidt ’06, Joseph M. Hanzich ’06, Ryan P. McAuliffe ’06, Thomas M. McSorley ’06, Leslie V. Pope ’06, Jessica R. Rosenfeld ’07 and Brooks E. Washington ’06.