Hockey Forward McAuliffe Nets Varsity Roster Spot

By John R. Hein, Crimson Staff Writer

For most hockey players, “switching it up” refers to a line change on the ice. But the phrase takes on a whole new meaning for junior Lauren McAuliffe this spring as she makes the transition from women’s hockey to softball.

McAuliffe, who played with the softball junior varsity squad for two years, got the call up after Harvard coach Jenny Allard was won over by her work ethic and persistence.

DREAMS OF FIELD

Though she has always had a lingering desire to try a sport other than hockey, McAuliffe can point to a specific day in March 2001—during her first year at Harvard—as the moment that started her spring sport odyssey.

The Crimson had just returned from a bittersweet campaign at the NCAA Frozen Four, where it lost to eventual champion Minnesota-Duluth before defeating rival Dartmouth 3-2 in the consolation game. McAuliffe assisted on the game-winning goal, but she found no consolation after the win.

“I remember freshman year, the first day we came back from nationals,” McAuliffe says. “It was the first day without hockey and I didn’t know what to do. I resorted to shopping in the Square, which is something I never ever do.”

The problem, as she recalls, was a feeling of withdrawal from athletics.

“I just missed it,” McAuliffe says. “I feel like sometimes when you focus so much on one sport, you lose an aspect of athleticism. You might improve in that one sport, but then, it’s good to do different kind of athletics.”

That same spring, McAuliffe decided to take up another sport, joining the JV softball team.

Balancing Act

McAuliffe’s desire to play softball should be no surprise to anyone who knows about her high school sports. At North Reading, McAuliffe played softball and hockey for four years, soccer for three years and volleyball freshman year. She captained both the soccer and the softball teams, the latter of which she led to a state championship in her junior year.

“[McAuliffe] has never let us forget that her high school softball team was state champs her senior year,” says Harvard women’s hockey captain Jamie Hagerman. “And if you ever drive into North Reading, you will see the sign, ‘Home of the 1999 State Softball Champs.’ She led that team to victory and if given the chance, she could do the same for Harvard.”

The Harvard JV softball team has been in existence for as long as Harvard has had a varsity squad. Like all JV squads, the team’s low-key nature greatly reduces the amount of fanfare and attention it receives.

Starting training and practices in mid-spring, the team plays a limited schedule against community colleges, prep schools and other schools with JV teams.

During her sophomore year, McAuliffe decided to go for the big-time and try out for the varsity squad.

“I love the sport, and I missed it a lot,” she says. “Playing JV was a lot of fun, but it wasn’t exactly what I was looking for. I think it is good for a lot of people, but I was looking for more of a commitment instead.”

McAuliffe approached Allard for a tryout her sophomore year, but she was not asked to join the varsity team.

“I thought her skills were good, but I didn’t think that they were better than those of anyone we had,” Allard says. “We were also over our limit in terms of travel squad size.”

Allard advised McAuliffe to focus on hockey, play JV for the time being and try out again for a varsity spot the next fall. McAuliffe did just that, and her persistence paid off.

“She did what I asked her to do and told me that she really wanted to play,” Allard says. “She tried out again, and I decided to take her, if for nothing else than a good attitude and being a hard worker and a competitive kid.”

“By coming back and trying again, [McAuliffe] showed coach that she was committed,” says McAuliffe’s roommate and softball tri-captain Louisa Canham. “I think she had the ability last year. I think coach realized that.”

When the Harvard women’s hockey team fell yet again to Minnesota-Duluth on March 23 this spring, McAuliffe only spent a few days in withdrawal. She debuted in softball against Boston University six days later.

The limited time McAuliffe had to workout with the team will affect the amount of playing time she is likely to see.

“She has some very good natural talent,” Allard says. “The challenge that Lauren has is that she only gets to practice with us for two and a half weeks in the fall, so she loses a lot of developmental time.”

Still, Allard will utilize her newest walk-on as a defensive replacement, a pinch hitter and a pinch runner.

SHE’S A HUSTLER, BABY

McAuliffe’s greatest asset will be the example she sets on and off the field, according to her teammates.

“In terms of hustle, Lauren demonstrates it on the field by never giving up on a ball and never giving up on an at-bat,” Canham says. “That really came out this fall.”

That attitude in McAuliffe is a product of both her family and her hometown environment. Athletics has been a constant throughout McAuliffe’s life. As the second of four

athletic children, her entire family is sports-oriented.

Her older brother was an all-league hockey player, golfer and baseball player. Her younger sister was a three-sport athlete in soccer, basketball and softball.

She reserves her greatest affection for her little brother.

“My little brother is a mad athlete,” McAuliffe says. “He is a ridiculous golfer, hockey, soccer, and baseball player. You name it, he excels in it, pretty much.”

Her father, Joe, was the MVP of the 1971 Merrimack college men’s hockey team and played other sports throughout his life, including baseball.

In addition to her family members, McAulliffe’s neighborhood of North Reading, MA, boasts a number of collegiate stars as well. Several of her neighbors have gone on to play college hockey at the varsity level.

“My neighborhood is huge into hockey,” she says. “We would come home everyday and play either street hockey, roller hockey, or pond hockey. It was just meant to be. I mean, considering the kids in my neighborhood, there are so many playing in college.”

“It’s what we did; it’s all we had to do really,” McAuliffe added. “It’s a pretty small town.”

McAuliffe views her style of play, whether on the ice or the field, as gritty.

“My entire family plays sports in the same fashion,” she says. “We all just work hard. I know I’m not the most skilled player, but I’m a scrapper.”

McAuliffe does not keep secret her desire to lead by example.

“In hockey, I am not the fast skater, and I don’t have the hardest shot,” she says. “I just try as hard as I can, as much as I can, and just try to play my role.”

McAuliffe has done just that in the past, and excelled at every position, whether it was third-line center or first-line wing.

“Sometimes my role isn’t the most glorious position, but it’s really important to the team,” McAuliffe says. “But I love being able to play that role and to do the best that I can, contributing to my team in any way I can.”

If actions speak louder than words, then McAuliffe’s unrelenting persistence to earn a spot on the Harvard varsity softball team is telling. Her actions have won the admiration and respect of her coaches and teammates. Now Harvard softball will reap the benefits of her presence this season.