Student Addresses Senate Committee on Aging

By The CRIMSON Staff, Crimson Staff Writer

Four Harvard students traveled to the Capitol Tuesday to meet with senators about Social Security reform, highlighted by the testimony of Brad M. Smith ’04 in front of the Senate Special Committee on Aging.

The students, members of Social Good through Politics (SGP), a student group affiliated with the Institute of Politics and headed by Smith, included Joel Washington ’05, David M. Darst ’04 and Heather W. Grizzle ’03.

SGP, which wanted to focus on a large social issue and chose Social Security, met with various senators—including Sen. Edward M. Kennedy ’54-’56, D-Mass.—about their 35-page proposal on addressing inequities in the current system.

One suggestion, Darst said, is guaranteeing benefits at 110% of the poverty line to individuals who have been employed for 30 years at the minimum wage.

Smith said he was asked to speak by the committee’s chair, Sen. Larry Craig, R-Idaho, to give his generation’s perspective on Social Security.

“If no changes are made to the current system, my generation will only be able to receive 75% of the benefits retirees today receive,” Smith told the committee.

“It was a great learning experience,” Smith added. “It was really good to get our word around.”

—RAFE H. KINSEY