Football Refreshes Receiving Corps

Graduation of Morris, injury to Cremarosa force Crimson to rethink wideouts

By Lande A. Spottswood, Crimson Staff Writer

The most shocking sight at the Harvard football team’s season opener a week from Saturday may not be a diving catch or an ankle-breaking spin move. Instead, it could very well be freshman defensive back Daniel Tanner.

Why? Because Tanner, not all-everything Carl Morris ’03, will be wearing No. 19, and the sight will cement the end of an era.

With the graduation of Morris, a two-time Ivy Player of the Year, and the loss of senior speedster Kyle Cremarosa to a season-ending injury, the Crimson receiving corps enters the season with a lot to prove—not to mention 160 yards per game to replace.

“There is quite a bit [of pressure],” said junior wide receiver James Harvey. “The biggest thing you lost with Carl and Creme was a lot of leadership. Those guys had both been playing since their freshman years and they kind of showed us the way.”

The loss of Cremarosa, which came after the senior sustained a broken tibia and partially dislocated ankle during last Saturday’s scrimmage, left Harvard without a primary target and go-to guy.

But the Crimson also lost something equally important—depth.

In the aftermath of Cremarosa’s injury, junior Rodney Byrnes, a WR/RB last season, immediately lost his “slash.” After posting 482 receiving yards and 226 rushing yards in 2002-—second- and third-best on the team, respectively—he will simply be a wideout this season.

“I don’t see Rodney playing running back as long as our running back situation maintains some degree of health,” said Harvard coach Tim Murphy.

Byrnes joins classmates Harvey and Brian Edwards to form a trio of experienced returnees. Harvey emerged as a solid complement to Morris last season, making five catches, including one for a touchdown, against Columbia. Meanwhile the speedy Edwards (his 4.49 40-yard dash is second-best on the team) averaged the most yards per catch (16.9) of any player on the squad.

Toss in a couple of impact freshmen, and Murphy likes what he sees.

“I expect that the committee of Brian Edwards, Rodney Byrnes, James Harvey and possibly [freshman] Corey Mazza will give us a strong wide receiver presence,” Murphy said.

The 6’3 Mazza, a high-profile signee last spring, has exceeded expectations in fall practices. Both Mazza and fellow freshman Danny Brown have impressed teammates with both their abilities and familiarity with the offense.

“I have been impressed [with the freshmen receivers],” Edwards said. “Mazza and Brown came in very prepared. They knew the offense and have been practicing well.”

Harvey agrees.

“It’s amazing,” Harvey said. “They are so far ahead of where I was when I was a freshman. We’ve got a talented freshman class.”

It will take a lot of talent—and a lot of teamwork—to fill the All-American cleats of Morris, but the receiving corps plans to shoulder the load together.

“There’s not much pressure because the offense is spread out amongst three or four wide receivers instead of just one,” Edwards said. “So the pressure is diluted.”

2003 Harvard Football

Wide Receivers & Tight Ends

Contributors Lost WR Carl Morris ’03, WR Kyle Cremarosa (injury)

Contributors Returning WR Rodney Byrnes, WR Brian Edwards, TE Matt Fratto, WR James Harvey, TE Adam Jenkins

Important Newcomers WR Corey Mazza, WR Danny Brown

Player to Watch Fratto. With a lack of experience in the receiving corps, the two-year senior starter should take on a larger pass-catching role than last season, when he only had 11 receptions and one TD. Murphy says he is “definitely a guy we can count on in the passing game.”

Newcomer to Watch Mazza. He was the biggest name in the Class of 2007, and should show why immediately. His teammates rave about his uncanny grasp of Harvard’s complicated offense, and his size and ability should allow him to showcase it.

Number of Note 0. That’s the number of returnees that averaged more than 50 ypg receiving last season. Byrnes, who split time between WR and RB, was closest with 48.2 ypg.

—Staff writer Lande A. Spottswood can be reached at spottsw@fas.harvard.edu.

PreviewsFootball