New W. Lax Coach Replaces Mentor

By Sean W. Coughlin and Brenda Lee, Crimson Staff Writerss

The recent selection of Sarah Nelson ’94 as the Harvard women’s lacrosse coach brings a personal touch to a tradition of excellence. Once a disciple of renowned coach Carole Kleinfelder during her time as a Harvard undergraduate, Nelson steps into the head coaching role following her former coach’s retirement in May.

In taking this step, Nelson has big shoes to fill, since Kleinfelder is widely regarded as one of the greatest coaches in the history of the sport. Kleinfelder led the Crimson to 11 NCAA tournament appearances and one national championship in her 24 years as head coach.

Nelson, who served under Kleinfelder for the past three seasons, brings dual experience with Kleinfelder’s system as a student and a peer. Including her undergraduate years, Nelson boasts seven years of tutelage under Kleinfelder.

“Coach Nelson will take the best of Coach Kleinfelder and add her own qualities to the philosophy of the team,” said sophomore Lauren Holmes.

Nelson boasts an impressive resume as a player. She shined at Harvard, earning First-Team All-Ivy and Second-Team All-American honors in her sophomore and senior campaigns.

Currently a member of the U.S. National team, she also played for the U.S. in the 1999 and 2001 World Cups, with the 2001 team going on to claim the World Championship.

She also has seven cumulative years of coaching experience, having coached at the University of Vermont from 1997-2000 before returning to Harvard as Kleinfelder’s assistant.

“Coach Nelson has a vast knowledge of the game at the highest level,” said sophomore attacker Emma Millon. “And yet still she is a friend, a mentor and someone who really listens to the team.”

Nichols Family Director of Athletics Bob Scalise echoed the the player’s comments, touting Nelson as “great for the program.”

“Sarah has tremendous energy, enthusiasm, character and knowledge,” Scalise said. “Those qualities and her overall approach to the game will allow our program to again be successful on a national level.”

For all of her personal success, both nationally and internationally, Nelson maintains appropriate perspective by focusing on what she terms the two most important aspects of Crimson lacrosse—the tradition and the players.

“One of my goals is to continue what Carole started here,” Nelson said. “Carole helped me form my perspective on lacrosse and on life. Now I have the opportunity to pass those beliefs on to the players who come through the Harvard program.”

True to this end, Nelson works diligently to build relationships with her players.

As an assistant coach, Nelson spearheaded recruiting efforts the past three years to gather top-notch talent from across the nation.

“She has an ability to connect with everyone on the team on a personal level,” said Holmes.

For the Harvard women’s lacrosse team to return to its former glory under Kleinfelder, Nelson will have to make this personal connection translate into on-field success.

—Staff writer Brenda E. Lee can be reached at belee@fas.harvard.edu.

—Staff writer Sean W. Coughlin can be reached at coughl@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Lacrosse