W. Volleyball Opens Season With Big Plans

Last year’s Harvard women’s volleyball team was good enough to challenge for the Ivy league title and record one of the best seasons in its history. The bad news for the rest of the Ivy League is that this year’s team—which hosts Towson at 7 p.m. tonight in its season opener—may be even better.

With only one starter gone from the Ivy runner-up team of 2002, the Crimson looks to be in prime position to challenge for a title once again.

The offense will center around last year’s Ivy League Player of the Year Kaego Ogbechie, the middle who led the Ivies in kills with 4.58 per game and led Harvard in blocks with 1.21 per game. Joining Ogbechie on the attack will be co-captain Allison Bendush, who finished second on the team with 2.94 kills per game in 2002, and a variety of potent offensive weapons.

But even though all the big hitters come back, the player in charge of getting them the ball won’t.

The offense will miss second team all-Ivy setter Mindy Jellin and her 11.52 assists per game. Jellin was the lone senior, captain and steadying force in last year’s breakout season.

However, junior Kim Gould has spent two years grooming for the position and now will get a chance to guide the offense.

“College volleyball is a very different pace,” Gould said. “Mindy was a great setter, and I learned a lot from her. I’m so excited to take over.”

Just like last year, the Crimson has the talent to win the Ivy title. However, this season the team has the experience it missed as the race heated up last year.

“All the pressure got to our heads last year,” said senior co-captain Mariah Pospisil. “Now, we’re a lot more confident, and I think we have a lot to prove.”

A team-oriented atmosphere has developed in the pre-season, as a result of last year’s strong performance. The only goal is a shared one—bringing home the school’s first Ivy League women’s volleyball title.

“Our whole team joined together this pre-season,” Pospisil said. “Everyone wants the title so badly.”

To finally win a title, the Crimson will have to get by two-time defending league champion Penn. The Quakers swept Harvard in two games last season, and will be just as tough to beat.

“We’re taking it one game at a time here,” said Pospisil. “But in the back of our minds Penn is there waiting.”

Sharing the runner-up position with Harvard in 2002 was Princeton. The Tigers lost two key seniors from its attack, but two-time all-Ivy senior Kellie Cramm should be able to provide the needed firepower and make Princeton a player in the Ivy race.

The competition will be tough, but the Crimson recognizes the value of having team comaraderie and a team focus. Both can be a constant force during a season with many highs and lows.

“Last year our success and our failure very much depended on our team attitude and team work ethic,” said junior outside hitter Nilly Schweitzer. “With the smaller [12 person] team this year, everyone is made stronger, because everyone feels like they need to contribute.”

Harvard will continue its play in the Crimson Classic tomorrow at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m. against Furman and Colgate, respectively.

—Staff writer Michael R. James can be reached at mrjames@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Volleyball