QB, Offensive Coordinator Learn Together

By Lisa Kennelly, Crimson Staff Writer

Quarterback Ryan Fitzpatrick is not a rookie. For the past two years, the athletic junior has seen glory, defeat and plenty of playing time as he has shuffled in and out of the starting role.

Nor is offensive coordinator Dave Cecchini a stranger to the game. Thirteen years as a player and then assistant coach at Lehigh have given him experience both on and off the field.

But despite their hefty résumés, both these young veterans find themselves in unfamiliar situations as the 2003 Harvard football season begins. For Fitzpatrick, the role of starting quarterback is for the first time unquestionably his possession. Cecchini, in his first year at Harvard, is faced with the task of learning and directing Harvard coach Tim Murphy’s complex offense.

Luckily, they have each other.

The two leaders of the offense, one on the field and one on the sidelines, have been relying on one another as they work to form a fusion of old and new that will hopefully produce an offensive attack comparable to that of 2002. Last year’s squad—directed by former offensive coordinator Jay Mills, now the head coach at Charleston Southern—was eighth in Division I-AA offense, racking up an average of 426.7 yards per game.

Meeting the challenge has not been easy.

“Spring was a rough time,” Fitzpatrick said, referring to the adjustments of training camp. “A lot of times [Cecchini] came to me with questions.”

For Cecchini, learning the Harvard offense was like reading a favorite book in a different language. Murphy’s offensive set-up appeared in many ways similar to what Cecchini had been running at Lehigh for more than a decade, but the terminology was completely different.

“Ryan helped give me an idea of how it was taught a year ago,” Cecchini said. After watching hours of film and reviewing pages of plays, Cecchini began to tinker with the established system.

“It’s not going to be identical to last year, but hopefully the improvements will help us work at a more efficient level,” Cecchini said

Once Cecchini got his bearings, the teacher became the student.

“He’s teaching me a lot,” Fitzpatrick said. “He’s added a few wrinkles of his own.”

Cecchini’s plan is to integrate the best aspects of Lehigh’s playbook into Harvard’s already stocked arsenal. The fact that Fitzpatrick is now the clear-cut starter will help smooth the transition.

“It adds some stability to the offense knowing who will be quarterback,” Fitzpatrick said, recalling last year’s continuous rotation between him and then-captain Neil Rose ’03. While Fitzpatrick says that his pre-game mindset will be little affected by his new responsibilities—“I went into every game last year thinking I was going to play”—he is fully conscious of the burden placed upon him.

“I’m going to have to make adjustments,” Fitzpatrick said.

That makes two of them.

Quarterbacks, running backs and fullbacks

Contributors Lost—QB Neil Rose ’03, TB Nick Palazzo ’03, RB Rodney Thomas ’03, RB Rodney Byrnes (moved to receiver)

Contributors returning—QB Ryan Fitzpatrick ’05, RB Ryan Tyler ’06, FB George Parry ’04, FB Collin Blackburn

Player to Watch—Tyler. The sophomore emerged as Harvard’s top tailback in last season’s Columbia game, when he rushed for a freshman-record 120 yards, but missed the last two games with a broken finger. With junior Rodney Byrnes playing receiver full-time this season, Tyler will be counted on to provide much-needed experience to the RB corps.

Newcomers to Watch—TB Clifton Dawson. The sophomore transfer from Northwestern has shown exceptional speed and should see playing time, especially considering Harvard’s habit of using more than one back.

Number of note—52.3. That’s how many rushing yards per game Fitzpatrick averaged last season, a team-best. Though Fitzpatrick is a talented scrambler, the Crimson would benefit from the emergence of a running back as its top rusher.

—Staff writer Lisa J. Kennelly can be reached at kennell@fas.harvard.edu.

PreviewsFootball