To Sleep, or Not to Sleep

Jacquelyn Chou ’07 may not look like a zombie, but one shouldn’t be surprised to find her stalking around at
By Joanna J. Parga

Jacquelyn Chou ’07 may not look like a zombie, but one shouldn’t be surprised to find her stalking around at two in the morning. “I usually try to get to bed no later then four,” this perky and energetic sophomore says, adding that “two o’clock is early—two o’clock is amazing.”

A more scarce—and less scary—species than the zombie is the “zonked out.” There’s only one place to find Michael W. Reckhow ’06 after hours: in his bed. “I get eight to nine hours of sleep a night I’m guessing,” Michael professes in an afternoon interview. “I just can’t function when I don’t sleep.” Compared to Jacquelyn’s three to four hours a night, Michael logs double-duty in the Land of Nod.

A typical day in the lives of Michael and Jacquelyn—Jacki to her friends— might look like this:

8:00–9:30 a.m.: Jacki is waking up after a refreshing three hours. Michael has been asleep for seven and is still going.

9:30–11:00 a.m.: Jacki has been spending the hour getting her work done and preparing for class. Michael is still sleeping.

11:00–11:30 a.m.: Jacki’s day is in full swing! Michael has just left his bed.

11:30 a.m.–late evening: Jacki has gone to her classes during the day and is now attending one of her various clubs or group activities. Her laundry list includes: The Taiwanese Cultural Society, Harvard Progressive Advocacy Group, Chinatown Citizenship, The Bach Society Orchestra, Delta Gamma Sorority, BASIC (Boston Asian Students Intercollegiate Conference), The People of Color Caucus with the Harvard Social Forum, Kirkland Grille and the Kirkland Media Lab.

Michael has gone through a day of classes for his concentration in Engineering (no small feat) and will spend the rest of the day working on new marketing strategies for Redline Books, tutoring with Mission Hill Afterschool Program or playing for the Currier intramural sports teams.

Fast forward, 1:00 a.m.: Jacki just started her class work two hours ago and is in Kirkland basement e-mailing her multiple organizations and getting her papers and problem sets done. Michael is asleep.

Is “I have a Currier bed with no springs” Michael using his time more efficiently?  Or should Harvard students look to “advocacy requires no sleep” Jacki? Both admit that their lifestyles aren’t quite perfect.

“Lately I have become addicted to gummy bears,” Jacki confesses. “So it is possible the sugar is doing me in. I’m going to die of artificial food colors.” When asked how she does it without the aid of any illegal substances, she says, “I don’t know, I mean, I get a lot of my energy from being with other people. I mean, I’m sure you feel more energetic with your friends.” FM was becoming exhausted just listening.

Michael, not wired on small candy bears, spoke candidly about the hardships of living with his self-imposed condition. “I went to Game 7 in New York—Red Sox-Yankees—slept for six hours, and the next day I was sick. I’m doomed to be sick if I don’t sleep a lot every night.”

While Michael might miss out on some excitement, he also might be a little healthier. One third of Americans sleep six hours per day or less, but studies by Harvard-affiliated Brigham and Women’s Hospital (BWH) have found that the sleepless nights can have bad medical consequences.

High blood pressure is a short-term consequence, but the long term effects of sleep deprivation are not known. Perhaps FM should check back in with Jacki 20 years from now.