News Brief: Man Arrested for Trespassing in Professor Dershowitz’s Hauser Hall Office

By Robin M. Peguero, CRIMSON STAFF WRITER

An unruly man was arrested for trespassing into Frankfurter Professor of Law Alan M. Dershowitz’s office yesterday, according to Steven G. Catalano, Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) spokesman.

Douglas Fagin, 52, of Schenectady, N.Y. strolled into Hauser Hall at 6:25 p.m. Police told Dershowitz that the man asked for legal advice and ranted diatribes against the FBI.

“The police told me he wasn’t directing any threats to me,” Dershowitz said late last night. “Apparently, he was looking for some help or assistance. This happens from time to time.”

Upon reports of a person acting suspiciously in the area, Catalano said police were dispatched to Hauser Hall at the Law School and encountered “a male speaking in a loud tone.” HUPD officers then asked Fagin to step out into the lobby with him.

“The unidentified male stated that he was not affiliated with the University, did not have an appointment with Professor Dershowitz—nor had he called ahead,” Catalano said.

“During the whole time that he was questioned, he continued to make a scene by speaking loudly, becoming verbally abusive and attempting to return into the office suite,” Catalano added. “After several attempts to ascertain his business for being in Hauser Hall with no success, he was placed under arrest.”

Dershowitz said he was told by police that the man wasn’t particularly threatening, although he admits threats aimed at him are common.

“That’s why I have a secure office,” Dershowitz said.

A glass partition stands on the fifth floor of Hauser Hall near his office.

Fagin will be arraigned this morning on charges of trespassing.

—ROBIN M. PEGUERO