Lessons from a Robbery

Are the Union dorms falling through the cracks?

By The Crimson Staff

Last week’s armed robbery in front of Pennypacker Hall, in which a freshman was robbed at gunpoint, is a disturbing reminder that crime is intrinsic to an urban college campus. More importantly, the incident offers two useful lessons worth reiterating to both students and campus security groups. To students, being a hero isn’t worth the risk. And to campus security groups, don’t forget about the Union dorms.

While Robert K. Lord ’08, the victim in last Monday’s unfortunate armed robbery, was no doubt brave to bargain with his robbers to keep his electronic daily organizer and cell phone (which he was nearly successful in saving), his actions should not serve as a model to other students. Not only did Lord put himself in unnecessary danger, he was almost run over as he chased after the robbers, attempting to read their license plate number. Students must bear in mind that robbers, especially those with firearms, nearly always have the tactical advantage in an altercation. In short, comply with their requests.

Harvard University Police Department (HUPD) spokesperson Steven G. Catalano said, “The general rule of thumb when being robbed is to obey the robber’s commands. Give them what they’re asking for.” It is hardly worth risking one’s life to save a material possession, and students should remember that personal safety should be their first priority.

Likewise, preventing altercations like this one should be HUPD’s first priority. Although we understand that HUPD cannot prevent every crime on campus, we wonder whether several simple steps could have preempted this particular robbery in the first place. After all, this location in front of Pennypacker was already the site of an indecent assault in October. Although two events in two months do not necessarily imply a trend, we worry that the Union dorms are being insufficiently patrolled by HUPD, Yard Operations security and the Cambridge Police Department (CPD). Students from these dorms have complained about a lack of security presence, and we suspect that given the Union dorms’ location on the periphery of the Yard and situated within CPD territory, activity in the vicinity of the dorms is falling under the radar.

A more coordinated response from HUPD, Yard Operations and CPD seems self-evident. According to Catalano, HUPD has “increased its presence” in the area, and last week CPD spokesman Frank T. Pasquarello told The Crimson, “Every time there is an armed robbery, we put additional officers in the area.” We welcome these changes as necessary to the safety of Union dorm residents. However, the security of the Union dorms still pales in comparison to the rest of the freshman dorms inside the gates of Harvard Yard. With the Yard’s lone security office in Weld Hall—two blocks from the Union dorms—we call upon the College to consider establishing a second Yard security office in the vicinity of the Union dorms.

Two months ago, this page praised the organizations responsible for campus safety, including HUPD and the CPD, for their significant strides toward making Harvard’s environs substantially safer, especially after the rash of indecent assaults during the previous school year. And three months into the school year, the rate of high profile, violent and harassing crimes has dropped noticeably. Still, last week’s robbery serves as a reminder that security at Harvard should not neglect any part of campus—and that students must use a little common sense if they find themselves looking down the barrel of a gun.