Students React As Clark Withdraws

By Zachary M. Seward, Crimson Staff Writer

Gen. Wesley K. Clark, whose rookie foray into politics never achieved its initial messianic billing, formally withdrew yesterday from his campaign for the Democratic presidential nomination.

Clark’s departure winnowed the Democratic field to five remaining candidates and effectively established a three-man race—with Sen. John F. Kerry, D.-Mass., well ahead—in advance of Tuesday’s crucial Wisconsin primary.

“Today I end my campaign for the presidency, but our party’s campaign to change America is just beginning,” Clark told supporters at a rally in Little Rock, Ark. yesterday.

Josh S. Gottheimer, the campaign’s chief speech writer, said Clark informed him and other close advisers of his decision at a meeting Tuesday night.

“When we knew he was going to come in third in Tennessee, that’s when he decided to drop out,” said Gottheimer, a third-year student at Harvard Law School. Clark also finished third in the Virginia primary.

Eli S. Rosenbaum ’05, co-coordinator of Harvard College for Clark, was pensive but positive in the wake of the announcement yesterday.

“When you get into a campaign, you know that there are only two outcomes,” Rosenbaum said. “And one is far more likely, especially in a primary campaign.”

Clark joins four other fallen Democrats—Ambassador Carol Moseley Braun, Rep. Richard A. Gephardt, Sen. Bob Graham and Sen. Joseph I. Lieberman—in what has been a tumultuous primary campaign.

Lieberman staffer Rebecca E. Rubins ’05 said she was devastated after the senator withdrew earlier this month.

“You just kind of feel this sense of loss...especially if it’s your first campaign,” Rubins said.

And as candidates continue to drop out of the race this year, they leave behind a host of diehard supporters who have devoted their time and passion to a suddenly defunct campaign.

“It’s not a celebratory occasion, but I think we were very proud of the run that we made and felt that we made a difference,” Gottheimer said.

Gottheimer, who was approached by various campaigns before joining Clark’s, said he would entertain the possibility of working for the eventual Democratic nominee.

“My priority now is to make sure that there’s a Democrat in the White House,” he said.

Rubins said she had been asked to join the Kerry campaign, but she planned to assume a more general role at the Democratic National Convention in Boston this July.

Kerry Campaign Responds

The Kerry campaign responded yesterday to a report in The Harvard Crimson that the senator had advocated United Nations control of the U.S. military in an interview with the newspaper in 1970.

Kerry spokesperson David Wade said in a written statement, “The G.O.P. must be terrified of John Kerry if they’re obsessing over statements of a 26-year-old Vietnam veteran angry at the Nixon White House’s indifference to soldiers dying in the frontlines thousands of miles away.”

“Through 20 years in the United States Senate, John Kerry has stood up for the strongest military on Earth and a muscular internationalism that makes America safe while winning the cooperation of alllies,” Wade added.

—Staff writer Zachary M. Seward can be reached at seward@fas.harvard.edu.