Article Downplays Effects Of ‘Study Drug’ Adderall

Letter to the Editors

By Cassandra Wibben-meyer

To the editors:

After reading the story “Students Turn To Drugs To Study” on the front page of the Jan. 26 Crimson, one of my friends turned to me and said, “This article really makes me want to try Adderall.” I had to agree.

I am shocked at how irresponsible this article is. It quotes four students who believe “study drugs” don’t have any immediate side effects, but the quote from the one doctor interviewed suggesting using drugs illegally “could be” a problem and that there “might” be harmful results from taking these drugs doesn’t appear until the end of the article.

The writers should have put more effort into presenting a balanced view of the use of “study drugs.” Reporting on several students who think it’s just great to illegally take drugs not prescribed to them while burying a mild warning from a doctor interviewed via e-mail gives readers a very one-sided picture of the issue. The article doesn’t even bother to explain how these drugs work beyond “stimulating the nervous system” or to find out what possible harmful effects might be.

I hope in the future The Crimson does a better job giving the whole story, especially in situations where students could be encouraged to abuse drugs.

CASSANDRA WIBBEN-MEYER ’04

Jan. 27, 2004