On Its Own

THE PRESS

Relizion was dise-tablished at Yale College when the fast compulsory chapel service was dismissed as the present examination period began. To future generations of Yale men the stories of how undergraduates leaped from deep slumber into rubber boots and ulsters and then raced desperately across the campus to be in time for morning provers will sound as unreal as tales from ancient history. Compulsory church attendance on Sunday is also a thing of the past. Religion is no longer an alarm clock. The monitor's list of present and absent sent will no more serve as a discourage of week-end absence from New Haven promoter of Yale solidarity.

Harvard the inventor of compulsory chapel for collegians in New England said it was the first foundation, was also list to give it up, under Dr. Eliet. Its lead is at last being followed widely and it will be very few years before obligatory religions observance in colleges will be confined to such institutions as are strictly and trankly religious.

In the colleges, where the props of religion have been removed, a new test of vitality will be made. More than ever before the young men and young women are free to ignore what is offered them in the name of religion.

Here is a challenge to the churches. Selected preachers must draw their own crowds, if they are to have crowds, instead of delivering their discourses to rows on rows of students who must attend.

In the life outside, the situation is the ame. There are plenty of other things to do, both on weekdays and on Sundays, so that few need go to a church to save themselves from being bored with nothing.

To some it may seem the beginning of the end of organized religion on a large scale. Instead, it may be a new beginnings if Christianity has the vitality and the wit to accept the challenge. Boston Globe, June 13.