Army Announces Details on Deferred Enlistment Plans

Following up the announcement of the creation of an Army Enlisted Reserve Corps Plan by which college students may enlist in the Army Reserve and yet finish their college studies, the War Service Information Bureau yesterday released the complete details on the new plan.

Of most interest to college students, probably, are the rulings which deal with the relation to the college status. In case the necessity of war makes it imperative, the Secretary of War may call on active duty any member of the Enlisted Reserve Corps at any time. It is expected, however, that enlisted students will not be called on active duty prior to graduation, except those who have become separated from the institution, or have failed in the required tests.

Examination Required

Not later than two calendar years after the beginning of their first college year, all students in the Enlisted Reserve Corps will be required to take a qualifying educational examination. Those who pass this test above a certain level will be allowed to remain in college, and continue their studies in an inactive Reserve status. On the other hand those who have failed to attain this level will be called on active duty in an enlisted status at the end of their second year, provided they have no valid reason for deferment.

Upon graduation, those students who are members of the ROTC advanced courses will be commissioned according to existing regulations. Others will be ordered on duty with the branch of the Army for which they are best suited. They will then take the regular basic course, and thereafter, if qualified, they will be ordered to the proper Officer Candidate Schools, from which they will be commissioned as second lieutenants.

Students whom the University recommends for advanced study or research work, will, upon approval, be continued in the Enlisted Reserve Corps on an inactive basis. From the day of their enlistment in the Corps men are no longer liable to the Draft.

Men who desire to enlist in the new Corps must be 18 at the time of their enlistment, but not over 45 at the time of their graduation. Not more than 20 per cent of the quota assigned to a given institution may consist of students under the age of 18 who have agreed in writing to enlist in the Army Enlisted Reserve Corps when they attain the age of 18. Physical requirements remain unchanged.