M. Golf Places Third at Tourney

A week after finishing a disappointing fifth at the Ivy Championships, the Harvard men’s golf team looked to rebound at the University of Rhode Island Spring Invitational.

Finished with its Ivy campaign, the Crimson played for pride this weekend, coming away with an impressive third place showing in the field.

Harvard finished the tournament with a two-day total of 604—just one stroke behind third place Rollins College and 14 strokes behind the champion Rams.

Captain Andrew Klein rebounded from his inconsistent performance last weekend and led the Crimson with a two day total of 148 on the par 71 course—six-over par—good enough for seventh place overall.

In Friday’s first round, Klein played crisp and controlled golf en route to shooting a one over-par 72, placing himself atop the individual standings.

In the second and final round of the two-day event, Klein couldn’t quite keep up the pace, but still managed to shoot a solid four over-par 76.

“Overall, I hit the ball really well,” Klein said. “But was disappointed with my ability to get the ball in the hole.”

Junior Chris Wu also played strongly, finishing the tournament tied for 10th place with a two-day total of 150.

Wu, who will not play in the season’s final tournament next weekend, finished his breakout season on an up note.

Wu showed the most consistency of any golfer on the Crimson throughout the year and teamed up with Klein to make one of the best duos in the Ivy League.

“It was a good way to end my junior season,” Wu said. “I feel like I’ve accomplished a lot this season after having two mediocre seasons beforehand.”

Behind Klein and Wu’s strong play, Harvard finished Friday in second place, just four shots off URI’s lead. But on Saturday, the Rams pulled away from the entire field with a team score of 292.

“Overall, this weekend was a strong showing for us as a team and it reminds us of the strong nucleus that we’ve had all along,” Klein said.

The Crimson will wrap up its season next week in the Patriot League Challenge held in Trenton, N.J.

—Staff writer David H. Stearns can be reached at stearns@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Golf