W. Golf Takes Third at Tourney

By Jonathan P. Hay, Crimson Staff Writer

The Harvard women’s golf team kicked off its season on a strong note over the weekend, utilizing a second-day surge to capture third place in the Dartmouth Invitational.

The Crimson recorded a total score of 334-316—650, leaving it 21 strokes behind first-place Yale.

Leading the way for Harvard was senior J.J. Kang, who shot a 78-79—157 and was just three strokes away from sharing top individual honors.

After Kang, the most notable aspect of the rest of the team was its experience—or, rather, its lack thereof.

Three freshmen—Debbi Amanti, Jessica Hazlett and Katie Loncke—represented the Crimson in the tournament, and all three turned in solid performances. Hazlett fired an 85-79—164, Amanti an 83-83—166, and Loncke an 88-79—167 in what was the first collegiate tournament for each girl.

“It’s great for the team,” captain Carrie Baizer said. “Clearly they can all play. It’s not surprising because they’re all recruits.”

Sophomore Jackie Rooney rounded out the scoring for Harvard with an 88-79—167. As a player who saw significant action in her freshman year, Rooney could relate to the current crop of rookies.

“Coming in, I was nervous at first, and my scores reflected it,” Rooney said. “We’re so proud of the way our freshmen played.”

While the golfers battled rain and adverse conditions all weekend, the Crimson players were able to prevent the weather from dealing too much damage to their scores, especially on the second day of competition.

“You have to stay focused,” Rooney said. “[When the weather is bad], sometimes it helps you focus even more.”

Harvard returns to action next weekend when it travels to Princeton to compete in the Princeton Invitational. The Crimson participated in the tournament last season for the first time since 1996 and struggled, finishing in a tie for 12th place.

—Staff writer Jonathan P. Hay can be reached at hay@fas.harvard.edu.

Women's Golf