We Can Hear You Now

Better Cingular coverage in the Quad appears at hand, petitions notwithstanding

By The Crimson Staff

Initiative is a beautiful thing, and apparently Cabot House resident Allegra J. S. Lichauco ’08—who started the petition for Cingular to improve cell phone service in the Quad—isn’t the only one who can claim it. It turns out that the folks over at Cingular Wireless have a great deal of initiative themselves—so much so that, according to their Northeast Region Public Relations Representative, Alexa G. Kaufman, they approached Harvard University nearly a year ago about improving cellular reception. “We’re aware that the in-building penetration is not as good as we like it to be,” Kaufman said, and went on to say that there are indeed already plans to place an additional cell site on or near Harvard’s campus. Cingular Wireless is currently in negotiations with the University, and has hired an outside real estate consultant to find potential spots for the new cell site. Kaufman described the plans as “a collaborative effort” between Cingular and Harvard.

Cingular’s plans to improve cell service on Harvard’s campus are actually part of a larger undertaking for Cingular. “We are making a lot of efforts throughout New England, throughout Massachusetts, to further enhance the existing service,” said Kaufman. Indeed, in an Aug. 8 press release, Cingular “announced it intends to invest more than $250 million this year in New England,” and ultimately plans to build 150 new cell sites in the area. Cingular should be commended for anticipating customer needs even before they’re asked to.

But worry not, Quadlings, your petition was not all for naught. “Having customer advocates is something that we welcome,” Kaufman explained. “Cell siting can be extremely tricky, especially in areas with historical buildings and residential areas,” she added. “Customer advocacy kind of smoothes the road with zoning commissions.”

So students should not hesitate to continue voicing their opinions and concerns on this topic, both to Cingular and to the University. Ideally, the push for improved cell phone service in the Quad can become a collaborative effort that includes not only Cingular Wireless and Harvard University, but Harvard students as well. It must be impressed upon the University that it must do everything in its power to aid and expedite this process, and always-vocal Quad residents are certainly more than up to the job.

“We’re definitely going to make it happen,” Kaufman declared.

With Cingular, Harvard, and students all taking the initiative and working toward a common goal, it certainly appears that way.