Teen Idols Hanson Refuse to Rest on Laurels

The year is 1997.

For musical trio Isaac, Taylor and Zac Hanson, ages 16, 13 and 11, respectively, it was the year of their number one hit debut album, “Middle of Nowhere.”

As the years drifted by, Hanson went on to two Grammy award nominations, three platinum-selling singles and innumerable marriage requests scrawled in glitter-marker and ink on posters held by the hoardes of screaming female fans who showed up at every single public appearance.

But the glare of constant attention faded as the pop-spheres began to accommodate their sound and the constant buzz faded. With a new CD and a tour, Hanson is reconnecting with the pop mainstream. As part of that quest, Hanson talked to the Crimson about their determination to move musically forward, getting “Underneath,” and growing up.

A Fresh Sound

In the midst of a market oversaturated with low-quality boy bands, even less memorable girl bands and the empire created by some over-the-top British quintet that boasted about pinching princes’ bottoms while spouting the term “girl power,” Hanson’s music was a breath of fresh air.

Its unique hip, innovative blues-pop contemporary anthems displayed, unlike the work of their many competitors, masterful inherent musicality. And it just so happened that they were simply adorable pint-size musical masters, three brothers from a small town in Oklahoma. You can’t make this stuff up!

On their nationwide tour, the band will perform at 24 venues, from blues bars to college campuses. In addition to the gigs, at specified locations along the tour, Hanson will offer free screenings of their self-made documentary film, “Strong Enough to Break,” followed by panel discussions.

According to the band’s website (hanson.net), the film offers a candid look at the insightful young men’s views on the current state of the worldwide music industry, and explains why they formed their own label, 3CG Records, before creating their new album.

In addition to touring, performing and speaking around the country, Isaac says, “I’m excited to see what’s coming out of the various cities. Who knows? There may be some band that just really lights my fire. And I’d say,” he adds enthusiastically, “We’ve got to sign them! We’ve got to do something to help that band out.” It’s clear that his youthful vigor is still there in spades.

Family Matters

In response to the oft-heard misnomer “cheesy family band,” the taint of which the group has tried to escape for their near decade in the public spotlight, Hanson today is undaunted and remains idealistic.

Isaac, the talented lead guitarist responsible for creating the infectious opening riff for “Mmmbop” says, “I really don’t know how to get beyond [that label] except to continually be myself.”

Taylor is Isaac’s younger brother, the unofficial band leader and lead singer, who, even from the beginning of the band’s career, possessed the mature demeanor of an old soul.

“I think you just have to do what you do,” he says, “if there’s something cheesy about it, then there it is… And I guess all you can do is just say, ‘this is what we are, this is what we do, and let things follow what they will.’” Sage words, indeed.

“Those who bought ‘Middle of Nowhere’ are now 19, 20, college-aged” says Zac, the drummer and youngest member of the group. “We are not the same band we were then and neither are [the fans]” he adds.

Zac’s zany antics at public appearances led to his portrayal in the media as a poster-boy for Ritalin. Nowadays, the bubbly youth with shoulder-length blonde hair is nowhere to be found; with his cropped ’do and reserved mannerisms, Zac is the consummate professional as he explains the band’s newly distinguished rock edge.

Along with a new “indie” look, Hanson is taking their music to the next level; it now possesses more of a classic rock character than the essence of popular music that has kept them so successful all along.

In 2000, when Hanson released their sophomore effort, “This Time Around,” the band acknowledged that their sound was evolving. The edgier music signaled a welcome departure from the band loved by magazines such as BOP and TEEN Beat for so long.

The edginess of “This Time Around” is amplified on “Underneath” both literally and metaphorically, taking the band to the next level of hard. Some singles, like “Penny and Me” and “Lost Without Each Other” are simple and acoustic, while others take a more contemporary electronic sound.

But it is still the same sweet trio of harmonizing brothers underneath, the trusty Hanson formula of mixing bombastic vocals with steady, catchy beats to create songs that require a minimum of ornamentation.

Hanson also recently released an acoustic album, appropriately titled, “Underneath: Acoustic” and a compilation album called, “Best of Hanson: Live and Electric.”

Every person who purchases a ticket to a Hanson concert during the tour will receive a complimentary “Best of Hanson: Live and Electric” CD. The collection features a few shocking covers, like U2’s “In a Little While,” amidst the many live recordings of Hanson hits such as, “Mmmbop,” “Where’s the Love,” and “I Will Come to You.”

At 24, 22, and 19 years old, Isaac, Taylor and Zac, respectively, are embarking upon their very first independent album tour to bring reinventions of their own music and originals from “Underneath” across the continent.

As Taylor said, “the reason why we’ve always come back together is we have this common connection with music.”

It’s a connection that extends to their adoring fans.

—Staff writer Mary Catherine Brouder can be reached at mbrouder@fas.harvard.edu.