If You Bake It, They Will Come

The bar scene is nothing compared to the doughnut scene. Up and down Landsdown Street, Goths, Punks, and Ravers roam
By Diana E. Garvin

The bar scene is nothing compared to the doughnut scene. Up and down Landsdown Street, Goths, Punks, and Ravers roam in search of late-night munchies. At 4 a.m. those who eschew the hollow promises of the Late Night Sausage Guy are duly rewarded as Twin Doughnuts flings open its doors to meet the tattooed masses yearning to eat for (almost…) free.

Twin Doughnuts, named by the original owner after the birth of his twins, is perched at the juncture of North Beacon and Cambridge Streets (easily accessible by the T’s Route 66 Night Owl Bus). Doughnut-lovers and hungry clubbers are drawn to this late night Mecca by its inviting 1950’s-style neon-pink sign.

For this independent doughnut shop, quality is a mark of pride. The owner, Sou Chang Pang, vehemently insists that “all doughnuts must be made fresh right here.” Customers can choose from the usual suspects—such as glazed and chocolate frosted—as well as from a wide variety of muffins. Industrial strength coffee tops off most late-night meals as customers pull up seats at the round table in the center of the room. Those seeking a sweet end to the night debate local politics with the engagingly quarrelsome senior citizens who show up early to kibbutz before the warm doughnuts have a chance to cool off. Now that’s hot!