Harvard Joins Lobbyists

University to push for expanded stem cell research via new group

By Brendan D.B. Hodge, Contributing Writer

Harvard University and its affiliated hospitals are partnering with about 20 other institutions to form a group that will lobby Mass. state legislators to support expanded stem cell research.

Massachusetts Citizens United for Research Excellence (MassCURE) was publicly launched at a press conference at the state house last Wednesday.

The coalition of universities, hospitals, and organizations interested in scientific research will lobby to advance stem cell research, according to its website.

Primarily, MassCURE will lobby members of the state legislature and senate. The group is currently focused on legislation sponsored by State Senate President Robert E. Travaglini.

The legislation would authorize and endorse stem cell research—including research on stem cells obtained from embryos—in Mass. by clarifying current laws and establishing regulations on the research.

At last week’s press conference, MassCURE released a poll of Mass. residents, which found that 81 percent of respondents supported Travaglini’s legislation. The poll also found that 76 percent of Catholics and 66 percent of Republicans also support the bill.

Mass. Gov. W. Mitt Romney has publicly opposed many facets of stem cell research, including Travaglini’s bill.

Harvard researchers have been at the forefront of stem cell research through the newly founded Harvard Stem Cell Institute. In January, University Provost Steven E. Hyman approved cloning human cells to generate stem cells as part of research conducted by Cabot Professor of Natural Sciences Douglas A. Milton and Harvard Biologist Kevin C. Eggan.

According to Harvard Senior Director of Federal and State Relations Kevin Casey, Harvard’s involvement with MassCURE is directed towards ensuring Mass. has an “appropriate climate” for the research Harvard wants to do.

Casey said he hopes MassCURE will “provide education for legislators,” because he be lives that if legislators are given the correct information, they will support stem cell legislation. Casey also expressed optimism about Travaglini’s bill, saying he and MassCURE are “very hopeful” it will pass.

Melton and Travaglini could not be reached for comment yesterday.