M. Volleyball keeps rolling with two more victories to extend win streak to 10, clinches Sweeney Division title

By The Crimson Staff

The Harvard men’s volleyball team hit the road this weekend after wrapping up a five-game homestand with a defeat of New Haven on Wednesday.

With a nail-biting 3-2 win against conference foe NYU Saturday afternoon at the Coles Sports Center and a 3-0 sweep of NJIT at the Fleisher Athletic Center, the Crimson (10-3, 7-1 Sweeney) extended its impressive win streak to 10.

HARVARD 3, NJIT 0

Two gritty victories in games one and two gave the Crimson the momentum it needed to close out the third frame and the match 3-0 (30-28, 31-29, 30-22).

In the first two games, Harvard grabbed large leads early, only to watch the Highlanders pull within one, 29-28, in the first and draw even at 29 in the second. The Crimson held off the surge in each game to jump out to a 2-0 lead.

Harvard coasted in the third frame, as it posted a .441 attack percentage to close out the sweep.

The Crimson held NJIT to .091 hitting on the contest, while Harvard posted a .248 attack percentage of its own.

Crimson junior middle hitter Seamus McKiernan led the squad with 13 kills and seven blocks. Sophomore setter Dave Fitz posted 40 assists for Harvard.

With the win, the Crimson locked up first place in the Sweeney Division with five games remaining in the season.

Harvard travels to Loretto, Pa. next weekend to take on St. Francis of the Hay Division.

HARVARD 3, NYU 2

McKiernan led the team with a great all-around effort, narrowly missing a triple-double and recording a match-high 26 kills, 11 digs, and eight blocks. Senior outside hitter Abe Marouf chipped in on offense with 19 kills.

The entire match was close, with four out of the five games being decided by a two-point margin. The Violets (5-9, 1-6 Tait) struck first, taking the first frame by a score of 30-28.

For a while, it seemed as if they might win the second game as well. NYU came out firing, hitting .294 and delivering 18 kills. But Harvard’s offense was overpowering, posting 21 kills on .368 hitting and allowing the Crimson to squeak out a 32-30 victory.

The Violets fought back, taking a 2-1 lead with another 30-28 win in the third frame.

But Harvard, rather than being disheartened by the loss, responded with solid defense and efficient passing—led by Fitz’s 57 assists—to steamroll pass NYU 30-18 and force a decisive fifth game.

In the final frame, the Crimson was able to eke out a 16-14 victory and complete its come-from-behind defeat of the Violets.

—THE CRIMSON STAFF

Men's Volleyball