Media Portrayal Of Pinkett Smith Comments Was Overblown

By Margaret C. D. barusch and Jordan B. Woods

To the editors:

As co-chairs of the Harvard Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender and Supporters Alliance (BGLTSA), we were perplexed and frustrated after seeing “Pinkett Smith’s Remarks Debated” (News, Mar. 2) and the ensuing comment “A Jaded Perspective” (Mar. 3). We feel that clarification to your readership is necessary.

After Cultural Rhythms, the BGLTSA and the Student Advisory Committee of the Harvard Foundation met immediately to discuss the concerns raised by the speech. We all decided to work together to ensure that our events continue to be as respectful and positive as possible. Contrary to The Crimson’s portrayal, no one demanded an apology nor gave one. Upon request from our members, we sent out an explanation of our conversations over our own e-mail list. We never contacted any media source nor made any attempt to sensationalize this story.

One misleading article, one ill-informed comment, and a firestorm later, we found ourselves caught in a dispute that we didn’t even know existed. Loaded phrases in the news article’s headline and glance boxes and the article’s instances of misquoting and misrepresentation, as well as its placement on the front page, implied antagonism and aggressive tactics that simply did not occur. We are especially angered that The Crimson’s sensationalism has cast aspersions on a performance as important to this campus as Cultural Rhythms.

JORDAN B. WOODS ’06

MARGARET C. D. BARUSCH ’06

March 7, 2005

The writers are co-chairs of the Harvard BGLTSA.