Student Injured in Car Accident

Friends say Marie E. Burks ’06 of Mather is recovering and

By Robin M. Peguero, Crimson Staff Writer

A Mather undergraduate was struck by a car yesterday afternoon, sustaining minor injuries and spending the night at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.

Marie E. Burks ’06 was running across Memorial Drive at approximately 5:25 p.m. yesterday when a 2000 Toyota Sienna Van, unable to break in time, struck her, police said.

“She’s doing pretty well,” said roommate Kristal B. Young ’06, who visited her at the hospital yesterday. “She just has three minor fractures on her pelvis.”

The driver of the vehicle, Wei Yang, 18, from Brooklyn, N.Y., was uninjured.

“A preliminary investigation indicates that she was running across the street from the river side to the dorm side,” said Trooper Kara M. England, a spokeswoman for the Massachusetts State Police. “There were two cars heading westbound and the one on the left was able to stop and the vehicle on the right was unable to stop and made contact with her.”

Young said Burks, 21, was conscious during the entire ordeal and that doctors believe she did not sustain a head injury.

“Marie Burks is in good condition,” said Jerry Burger, a Beth Israel spokesman.

Young added that only a few minor bruises were visible and that Burks, who is on medication, has remained coherent and recalls the incident well.

“She’s actually in good spirits and making some jokes,” Young said. “She’s taken it very well, with a very good attitude about it.”

Burks was transported to the emergency room upon arrival to Beth Israel and was transferred to an upstairs patient room late last night.

“We’re just waiting for the surgeon to give the final examination on one of the fractures on her pelvis to determine whether or not she needs surgery,” Young said. “They’re trying not to move her because of her hips."

Both Cambridge Police Department (CPD) and Cambridge Fire Department (CFD) responded yesterday to Memorial Drive westbound, about 400 feet east of DeWolfe Street, said England.

England said that no citation will be issued against Yang for the incident. She added that his vehicle had not been towed.

“She was crossing [the] street too rapidly,” Young said. “The driver didn’t really see her and hit her.”

Michael A. Hill ’02 was the victim of a hit-and-run while crossing Mount Auburn Street, prompting calls for increased safety for pedestrians in the Square. Shira Palmer-Sherman, Class of 2002, died in 2000 after she was struck by a car in the Square.

—Staff writer Robin M. Peguero can be reached at peguero@fas.harvard.edu.