POP SCREEN

Chemical Brothers ft. Q-Tip

For those of you without access to VH1, here’s a quick and dirty history of popular music from the mid-’90s: The legendary hip-hop collective A Tribe Called Quest were producing socially conscious, jazz-inflected rap, and people were still pretending to care about “electronica.” There was also “The Macarena,” but the less said of that the better.

Two relics of this bygone era—Q-Tip of ATCQ and club stalwarts The Chemical Brothers—have collaborated on a new track: “Galvanize” from the latter’s new LP “Push the Button.”

The song itself is standard Brothers’ fare—all drum machines, robotic voice samples, and pulsing synth melody. Q-Tip’s nasal flow complements the track nicely, but it’s nothing remarkable for him.

The video, however, is a thing of beauty. Shot in stunning black and white, it features a plot straight out of “Our Gang.” Three smooth-cheeked youngsters, their faces painted like Pagliacci, sneak out to a downtown dance club.

Once they gain admittance into the club, the video shifts into vibrant color a la “The Wizard of Oz,” and the kids’ ringleader initiates a highly stylized fight/dance with another clown-faced patron.

The beautifully choreographed dance contest goes a long way towards elevating the comparatively flaccid track. Pay particular attention to the way the strobe lighting and Steadicam “stutters” complement the dancers’ movements.

All in all, the video is pretty terrific. Maybe those electronica enthusiasts weren’t pretending after all.

—Bernard L. Parham

Sitting, Waiting, Wishing

Jack Johnson

[Review written backwards in the spirit of the video style.]

Forgivable all it makes fun having are co. and Jack that sense the and, enjoyment-bracket particular this for works it like feels theme backwards the, times at cute quite and, bearable. (It admit I’ll, here right closet-fan) audience his of part large a up makes that niche 17-year-old-girl-and-her-mom the in reels Jack and, own his each to, same the all. Convinced not I’m but, laugh a provide (end?) beginning the at gymnastics lackluster rather some and, drum-beating and piano-jumping neat some there’s. Trick clever a enjoy audiences seems it so, (character Riesman certain a by critiqued lamely as) puppetry of use Interpol’s like know-nothings music some and, Stripes White the for well did Legos? Greatness to video a raise gimmicks can, still. Itself in praise-worthy is it of job acceptable Jack’s so and, (etc., Vanilli Milli, Spears Britney see) musicians many for order tall a normally is lip-synching. Tune little catchy his to along singing of job decent a does Jack while all...jerkily around moves everyone and, body Jack’s from launches magically spaghetti, backwards moves water of bunch a that is, video this for, result the. Beginning to end from song the singing while video the of actions the through going expert high-paid some from mouth-coaching gets singer the. Reverse in...song entire the lip-synch to learn to is, “Scientist The” for video Coldplay’s in recently most seen, trick Jonze-esque the. Video “Wishing, Waiting, Sitting” Johnson’s Jack with tell to hard it’s. Can’t it sometimes. Limitations mainstream its beyond it propel even, video a carry can trick a sometimes.

—Henry M. Cowles

Dragostea Din Tei

O-Zone

If you put a thousand Eurotrash monkeys at a thousand homosexual typewriters, told them to write a three-minute-long porno with cameos from a cyborg and Santa Claus, hired Jar-Jar Binks and his twin brothers as the leads, and signed on an obsessive-compulsive nine-year-old to direct the whole thing, you would be the most awe-inspiring filmmaker of all time. You would also have created the music video for “Dragostea Din Tei,” more widely known as “The Romanian Pop Song That My Floormate Plays At 4 a.m. Every Night”. Hats off to you, my friend.

Holy living spirit of the Lord, is this video incomprehensible. O-Zone is flying a cargo plane (the least sexy aircraft imaginable)? But sometimes they’re on the wing, caressing each other’s hairless chests and coming tantalizingly close to making out? And at arbitrary moments, they turn into absurdist comic-book pictures (my favorite is the one of two Indians playing a soccer match against a cowboy)? And in the end, it was all a dream? What?!

Far be it from me to judge this video. All I can tell you is that you should watch it and pick out your favorite Dadaist moment for yourself. Meanwhile, I’m gonna contemplate moving to Romania, where even myself, the gayest straight guy around, can score with some hot post-Soviet babushkas.

—Abe J. Riesman