H Bomb's orgiastic cover.
H Bomb's orgiastic cover.

Beefier Than Ever

Nearly a year after its unveiling, the second issue of H Bomb is about to come—out to the public, of
By Beau C. Robicheaux

Nearly a year after its unveiling, the second issue of H Bomb is about to come—out to the public, of course. The frigid wait has certainly stimulated concern in students waiting to get their hands (and hopefully keep their hands) on the latest issue.

According to Katharina Cieplack-von Baldegg ’06, founder and editor-in -chief of the racy arts magazine, the wait will be well worth it—she believes that the long lapse between issues was necessary to enhance the second edition. “We want to be well-developed,” says Baldegg. The second issue, she says is “longer and better. It’s huge.”

Lack of models, however, was never a reason for the delay, according to the magazine’s founders. Baldegg and founder and president Camilla A. Hdry ’04-’05 rely on their friends for an abundance of sultry sources. “People love to model,” Hdry says. Case in point: Kevin C.L. Ching ’06, who appears on the cover, says he just wanted to do something fun with his blockmates.

The real difficulty arose in gathering articles and selecting material. “We took a lot of time to compile the material. We were just short-staffed.” says Hdry. H Bomb’s whopping 64 page issue contains mostly articles with the usual mix of risqué photos.

“We wanted it to be good and readable,” comments Hdry. “We didn’t want dirty things,” Baldegg adds. “We were really concerned about tone.” According to H Bomb’s Business Manager Vladimir Djuric ’06 the greatest cause of the delayed publication was “content not coming in on time.” “Most of the pictures we had didn’t make it into the magazine,” says Djuric, who is also a Crimson editor. “Photo shoots are easy to do, but we tried to be selective.” This greater selectivity combined with a small staff resulted in the long lapse between issues.

After a lengthy wait, this longer, juicier edition of H Bomb will be delivered to every campus door. But in the end, the success of the magazine won’t depend on its sheer size, but rather its sustainability.