An Inspired Choice

Governor Jean Shaheen is an ideal IOP director

By The Crimson Staff

The Institute of Politics (IOP) is a unique organization that has been molded by a lineage of exceptional politicians and undergraduates dedicated to preserving the memory of John F. Kennedy ’40. Its directorship is a demanding and prestigious position that requires a rare balance of public prominence, leadership, expertise, and commitment to undergraduate life. We are extremely pleased with the choice of IOP’s new director Jean Shaheen, a woman worthy of her new job title.

Shaheen’s résumé reads like a laundry list of success. A schoolteacher who became a local campaign manager for Jimmy Carter, Shaheen was elected to the New Hampshire State Senate in 1990. In 1996, Shaheen became the first female governor of New Hampshire, a post she held for three two-year terms. In 2002, she ran for the U.S. Senate, barely losing to John E. Sununu. She later served as a fellow at the IOP and served as national chair of Senator John F. Kerry’s presidential campaign. Given her experience in education and government at both the state and national level, Shaheen is a perfect fit for the job.

But, aside from her clear qualifications, selecting Shaheen was wise for other reasons as well. She is the first female director of the IOP, something that has been a long time coming and reflects the growing presence of women in politics. Also, as a former fellow, she understands the IOP’s unique mission and its ins and outs. Some may be disappointed that the director is yet again a Democrat—the last two IOP directors, Dan Glickman and Senator David H. Pryor share her ideological leanings. However, Shaheen is often considered a moderate based on her victory in New Hampshire, a fairly conservative state. Also, the lack of ideological change is a small price to pay for having a female director of such high caliber.

Shaheen’s agenda for the IOP is promising, both in the short and long run. She has said that one of her top priorities will be expanding the IOP’s student outreach. A key part of this will involve increasing student involvement, which is of utmost importance at the IOP given that it is a primarily undergraduate organization within the Kennedy School. Moreover, Shaheen herself will likely be stepping outside of Littauer Center. As a fellow she was known for her commitment to students, often frequenting campus dining halls to chat and interact with students. We hope that she continues to do so as she takes on this new job and that she encourages IOP fellows and staff to follow suit.

This is an exciting time for the IOP as seeds have been planted for a great organization to become even better. It is with great enthusiasm that we say “Welcome to Harvard, Governor Shaheen.”