BASEBALL 2005: The Winning Pitch

Long removed from his days of prep

By William B. Hauser, Contributing Writer

Rewind frank herrmann’s life to a cool fall afternoon four years ago.

Herrmann and his father sit in the garage of their home in Rutherford, N.J., when a phone call brings unexpected news: Harvard is interested in bringing the 6’4 quarterback and free safety to Cambridge—to play baseball.

“Yeah, right,” Herrmann recalls thinking. “My dad and I just laughed at it. I was sure I was going to play football in college, even though I wanted to play baseball. Going to Harvard [for baseball] came out of nowhere.”

Rewind Frank’s life even further, though, and his path becomes clearer.

Now a junior, Herrmann has been playing baseball for as long as he can remember—since the age of four. A naturally gifted athlete, Herrmann excelled as a three-sport star at Montclair Kimberly Academy, where he was named to the all-county team for baseball, football, and basketball three years in a row. As a senior, he was the captain of all three of his teams. With such a résumé, perhaps Herrmann’s astonishment at the phone call was the real surprise.

Rewind to his freshman year at Harvard, and Frank Herrmann suddenly becomes human.

His abilities didn’t translate immediately to the college game. In fact, Herrmann only played in 11 games his freshman year, pitching just three innings and collecting two hits. Needless to say, Herrmann was unaccustomed to watching his team play.

“Freshman year was tough, especially mentally,” Herrmann remembers. “Everyone here was a really good player in high school, so to sit on the bench and watch emotionally takes a toll on you. There were times when I wanted to quit.”

Today, Herrmann is happy he didn’t. Returning to the present, it’s clear why. As a leader of the pitching staff, Herrmann began the season on a streak of 11 innings without a single earned run. Despite a rough recent outing against Maine in which he surrendered four earned runs, Herrmann boasts an ERA of 2.20.

And thus, his efforts have helped lead Harvard to a promising start to the season. It’s been an interesting stretch for the Crimson, which has traveled to New York, Florida, and Minnesota in the span of a month. Herrmann pitched six scoreless innings in the Metrodome to pick up his first win, an experience he defines as “once in a lifetime.”

For Harvard baseball, the hopes are especially high this year. Last season, the Crimson fell one game short of the chance to play for the Ivy League title, losing a heartbreaker to Dartmouth in the nightcap of a doubleheader. Herrmann insists a reversal of fortunes is in order.

“This is the best team dynamic we’ve had since I’ve been here,” Herrmann explains. “No one on the team is mad if he doesn’t get in. Instead, we just support each other.”

For Herrmann, the bar is also set high as a leader of the team, especially in the absence of two-way star Trey Hendricks ’04, who was drafted by the Arizona Diamondbacks last year. He describes Hendricks as “maybe the best hitter I’ve ever played with.”

But Herrmann isn’t going to try to fill Hendricks’ shoes. “That would be a lot to ask of anyone,” he says. Instead, he’ll stick to playing his game, the game he has known for practically his entire life.

The good and the bad have prepared Herrmann for his current challenges. Herrmann knew that when he joined Dan Duquette’s Berkshire Dukes of the New England Collegiate Baseball League last summer, where he competed against top college competition.

Fast-forward to the outlook for the season and Herrmann’s eyes light up.

“I always felt we were the best team in the Ivies, the two years I’ve been here,” Herrmann says. “And it’s not different this year.”

Fast-forward and you’ll find that Herrmann is hesitant to say too much. Sure, he says his team can take home an Ivy League championship, but he hesitates to get lost in the future at the expense of the present.

“I don’t really know what my goals are for myself,” Herrmann says. “I’m not concerned. I’m just going along with it and giving 100 percent every day.”

And so far, it’s working. Herrmann has established himself as a top pitcher in the league, and his confidence and charisma make him a natural team leader.

There’s a reason why Harvard coach Joe Walsh is so excited about his star player. As Walsh says, Herrmann’s “arm strength, size, and work ethic,” which have gotten him so far already, are reasons alone for great expectations for Harvard baseball.

Just don’t tell that to Herrmann. He’d be too focused on the upcoming game to pay any attention.

Baseball