SPORTS BRIEF: Ivy Games Will Be Satellite-Broadcast

SIRIUS inks deal with Ivy League to broadcast football, basketball games of the week

By Samuel C. Scott, Crimson Staff Writer

Owing to a deal announced Monday, Harvard sports fans from coast to coast will now be able to follow the athletic exploits of junior running back Clifton Dawson or senior forward Matt Stehle from the comfort of their homes.

SIRIUS Satellite Radio announced that it had inked a three-year agreement with the Ivy League to broadcast a “Game of the Week” during the football and men’s basketball seasons.

Brett Hoover of the Ivy League office said that the schedule has not yet been hammered out, but that the first games should be selected by next week.

The broadcast schedule will be finalized in phases so as to include the games that are most relevant, depending on current league standings.

Neither Sirius nor the Ivy League would comment on the specific terms of the agreement.

Sirius will also broadcast an as-yet unspecified number of men’s hockey games and other Ivy sports events.

“We’re thrilled to add the Ivy League to our roster of sports offerings on SIRIUS. Not only can alumni and fans of the Ivies follow their teams from anywhere in the country, but SIRIUS listeners everywhere will be able to experience some of the most historic rivalries in sports,” said Sirius vice president Steve Cohen in a written statement.

—SAMUEL C. SCOTT

Football