Coaching Worlds Collide for M. Volleyball's Ridolfi

By Michael R. James, Crimson Staff Writer

The last time Chris Ridolfi departed the Malkin Athletic Center, he had just led the Harvard men’s volleyball team to its 12th straight win—a 3-1 victory over East Stroudsberg—and an EIVA Sweeney Division title.

Ridolfi was back for the New England Challenge this weekend, but this time as the coach of the Holy Cross women’s volleyball team.

A former assistant in the women’s program at Harvard, Ridolfi left Cambridge to take the Crusaders job four years ago. Last season, however, he returned to Harvard to fill the men’s volleyball coaching vacancy left by Rob Keller.

The Crusaders dropped the first two matches of the weekend to Boston College and Rhode Island.

Saturday night, Ridolfi led his Holy Cross squad against Harvard in the final contest of the New England Challenge. The Crusaders fell to the Crimson 3-0, giving Harvard the Challenge title in a tiebreaker.

“The dynamic was a little strange to get used to, but once the match gets going, it’s just a match,” Ridolfi said.

While the concept of a showdown between his employers was enticing, Ridolfi hoped his Holy Cross team would benefit from the matchup.

“I looked forward to it a little bit,” Ridolfi said. “I know a lot of the players, because they work our [men’s] matches. I also look forward to it more because they’re a quality team. And it helps for our Patriot League competition.”

The logistics of holding head coaching positions at two different institutions can be difficult, but Ridolfi has found a way to make it work.

“It’s a matter of trying to find the correct balance as far as attention goes,” Ridolfi said. “During the women’s season the norm would be to give them a hair more attention than the men’s program and vice versa.”

Thanks to modern technology, Ridolfi can stay on top of most of his work from either location.

Often, however, Ridolfi must make the 50-mile trek from Worcester to Cambridge.

“With gas prices so high, I spend a good portion of my salary on gas going back and forth on the Mass Pike,” Ridolfi joked.

“But it’s worth it,” he added. “Both schools have quality athletes and quality gyms, and it’s a pleasure to work at both places.”

—Staff writer Michael R. James can be reached at mrjames@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Volleyball