M. Water Polo Struggles at MIT Invitational

By Megha Parekh, Crimson Staff Writer

In their first five games of the season at the MIT Invitational, the men’s water polo team showed that its young squad—with two freshman, one sophomore, three juniors, and a senior goaltender starting—has talent yet to be molded into a solid unit.

With former standout Rick Offsay ’05 now on the sidelines as an assistant coach, the Crimson is adjusting to a new style of play.

Harvard (2-3) had a shaky start to the season, dropping three of the five games played.

But the team, which has not been able to practice in Blodgett Pool yet because of remodeling, got its first taste of competition this weekend and was pleased with the result.

Co-captain Robbie Burmeister was impressed with his younger teammates, and said “they are picking up and adjusting to the college game quickly.”

BROWN 6, HARVARD 3

Harvard walked away with bragging rights against Brown last season, but the Bears came back hungry for revenge. Brown jumped out to a three-goal lead in the first few minutes of the game.

“I think we came out a little flat. They were pretty fired up, and they took advantage of some defensive mistakes,” Burmeister said. “Once we got our bearings, I would say that we did a really good job.”

Though the Crimson’s offense was unable to find an answer for Brown, two-meters junior John Voith and freshman Danny Bilotti, were able to help Burmeister stem the Bears’ offensive output, especially during the second and fourth periods.

Harvard scored two goals on counters to get the score within one, but Brown went on a second offensive tear in the third period.

“They came out right away really strong, but once we settled down it evened out,” Voith said. “They scored during periods of our defense breaking down...In the long run we’ll be better.”

HARVARD 13, TORONTO 4

The new Crimson team was able to enjoy pounding Toronto, and the victory raised team spirits, especially after failing to put up a single goal in its previous game.

“That turned it around from where we started brought energy into the team. We definitely played with a lot more purpose and energy,” junior co-captain Michael Garcia said.

Burmeister said the team’s defense forced counters which turned into scoring opportunities, allowing Harvard to dominate the game.

Garcia led the offense in the game, tallying several of the team’s 13 goals.

“After the first quarter, none of our starters were playing,” Voith said. “It’s always good to win to see what that feels like.

“You get to experience victory together and it makes you want to work harder the next time.”

NYAC 11, HARVARD 0

When the Crimson stepped into the pool against a former Olympian, several former college players, and some former members of the US National Team, it knew the next four periods of play were going to be difficult.

As all the team members rotated in and out of the pool, they were unable to penetrate the club team’s defense or effectively shut down their offense, and took a pounding that they had not experienced in other games.

HARVARD 9, YALE 4

Freshman Jay Connolly stepped in the cage for the Crimson in its first win of the season. Connolly’s saves enabled the Crimson to hold the Bulldogs to just four goals.

Harvard overpowered Yale in the contest, and its skills determined the pace and nature of the game.

The Crimson’s first win enabled it to work on its new style of offense. With the team no longer centered around Offsay, the six field players worked on moving the ball around.

MIT 6, HARVARD 5

The new members of the Crimson’s fresh-faced team were introduced to the Harvard-MIT rivalry their very first night of college play, losing 6-5 at Zesiger Pool on Friday.

The evenly-matched squads jockeyed for the lead throughout the game. Though MIT drew first blood, Garcia responded with a goal just over 30 seconds later.

The Crimson scored two unanswered goals to take a 4-3 lead. The Engineers’ defense pressured Harvard’s offense thereafter, preventing it from capitalizing on scoring opportunities and holding the Crimson to just one more goal for the rest of the game.

“MIT had played a few games already; we haven’t played a real game together yet,” Voith said. “It was almost a shock.”

Newcomer Bilotti’s defensive skills were integral to keeping the match competitive.

Bilotti stole the ball four times for the Crimson, but the offense was unable to turn those breaks into goals.

Two of Harvard’s five goals on the night were contributed by freshman David Tune. Tune’s goal was the final offensive attempt from the Crimson in the fourth, bringing it within one. Junior Alessandro Lazzarini notched two as well, including the go-ahead goal in the third.

“The two freshmen definitely stepped up,” Garcia said. “Both of them are playing a big role we need.”

Harvard’s defense was anchored by Burmeister, whose six saves kept the score close throughout the game and offered the Crimson a chance to get back on top.

But the offense was unable to muster another goal before the final buzzer sounded.

—Staff writer Megha Parekh can be reached at parekh@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Water Polo