Salsgiver Becomes All-Star at Cape

Steffan Wilson leads NECBL in RBI, total bases to win league distinction

By Pablo S. Torre, Crimson Staff Writer

Every off-season, members of the Harvard baseball team trade in the familiarity of collegiate metal for the wooden bats of summer.

Past Crimson players have seen time in summer leagues from Alaska to Hawaii, joining student-athletes around in the country in an effort to improve, stay fresh, and raise their scouting profiles.

Here’s how this year’s crop fared with the lumber.

CAPE COD

Lance Salsgiver manned the outfield for the Wareham Gatemen, tearing through the prestigious Cape Cod League while earning a starting nod on the West Division All-Star team.

The senior paced the Gatemen by hitting .301, scoring 20 runs (second on the team) and rapping 43 hits (first). Salsgiver actually joined the squad as a temp before catching fire at the plate. The hard-throwing righty, however, notably did not see any time on the mound.

Sophomore RHP Shawn Haviland did, however, and to less than favorable results. After going 7-1 with a 3.10 ERA this season, Haviland teamed with Salsgiver at Wareham and took uncharacteristic bumps.

The putative ace of the 2006 Crimson staff recorded a 6.92 ERA in 13 relief appearances, fanning 19 against 13 walks while allowing 30 hits in 26 innings.

NEW ENGLAND COLLEGIATE

In New England Collegiate Baseball League (NECBL) action, reigning Ivy Rookie of the Year Steffan Wilson continued to build on his stellar 2005 campaign.

The slugging sophomore received All-NECBL First Team accolades with the Torrington Twisters, splitting time in the outfield and at third base.

Wilson led the entire league in RBI and total bases while hitting .340 with a .400 OBP. His 55 hits, meanwhile, were second-most in the league.

His .568 slugging percentage, 12 doubles, and seven home runs were each good for third.

He struck out 41 times at bat, but the Crimson’s closer tossed in three scoreless frames for good measure.

All-Ivy talent Josh Klimkiewicz, on the other hand, was unable to parlay an impressive junior year into summertime success.

The senior first baseman never found his stroke with the Mill City All Americans, hitting just .224 with only five extra-base hits, all doubles.

He walked 17 times against 28 strikeouts.

Klimkiewicz’s new teammate, Wake Forest transfer Tom Stack-Babich, struck out 34 times at the plate while hitting .156 with the Pittsfield Dukes.

A trio of Harvard hurlers all toed the rubber in the NECBL, each of them for the Dukes.

Sophomore RHP Taylor Meehan may have presaged his role in this spring’s starting rotation by going 3-4 with a 4.29 ERA over 42 innings, completing two of five starts while striking out 35. Meehan allowed the second-fewest hits in the league, holding opponents to a .201 batting average (sixth-lowest).

Junior RHP Jake Bruton notched a 4.24 ERA in 17 innings of relief.

He whiffed 15, walked 15, and surrendered 15 hits.

Senior RHP Javy Castellanos, meanwhile, fanned 34 in 38 IP en route to an uneven 2-5 mark and 5.87 ERA.

CALIFORNIA COASTAL

Noticeably, a few of the Harvard nine were able to escape to more scenic climes.

Sophomore centerfielder Matt Vance returned home for the California Coastal Collegiate League, where he hit .307 with a .434 OBP to go with 21 steals in 24 attempts for the Yumba-Sutter Gold Sox.

HAWAII COLLEGIATE

And four players—new Cleveland Indians signee Frank Herrmann and juniors Jason Brown, Andrew Casey, and Erik Berg—participated in the new Hawaii Collegiate Baseball League.

Herrmann and Brown, both right-handers, earned All-League honors for the Oahu Paddlers. After his performance for Oahu, Herrmann was signed by Cleveland Indians scout Don Lyle.

—Staff writer Pablo S. Torre can be reached at torre@fas.harvard.edu.

Baseball