M. Water Polo Sinks at ECACs

Seeded fourth. the Crimson loses a pair of one-goal matches to finish eighth

By Megha Parekh, Crimson Staff Writer

The men’s water polo team found itself treading familiar water in its final game of the ECACs.

Facing MIT for the second time this week, Harvard was eager to avenge its one-goal loss from Thursday night. As the game wound down, the Crimson trailed the Engineers by one, fighting for a seventh-place finish.

But ghosts of water polo games past came back to haunt Harvard, and it was unable to put away MIT, losing 8-7.

The Crimson also dropped its second game of the tournament against Johns Hopkins by just one goal, 10-9. The team lost to Bucknell in the opener 10-3, and the three losses dropped the fourth-seeded Crimson down to eighth place in the tournament.

MIT 8, HARVARD 7

Though the result was the same as the last time these cross-town rivals met, this time it was the Crimson who jumped out to a strong lead.

“We played great defense and countered really hard which led to some quick, easy goals,” co-captain Robbie Burmeister said.

The Crimson’s offense throughout the game was led by junior co-captain Michael Garcia, who scored four goals, and junior Alessandro Lazzarini, who tallied two.

Harvard claimed a quick 4-1 lead, just as MIT did on Thursday night. But as the game went on, the aggressiveness the Crimson came out with waned, enabling the Engineers to inch back.

During both the second and third quarters, MIT capitalized on the 6-on-5s they were awarded as Harvard players drew penalties. The Crimson wasn’t playing as high in the water, Burmeister explained, which enabled the Engineers to capitalize on their weaknesses.

Though the Crimson had opportunities of its own to tie the game during the fourth quarter, the players were unable to execute effectively.

“We played a lot better than we have against them last week and the first time we played them,” Garcia said, “but I think we just have to get past the point where, once we start out strong, we have to just finish it and keep going.”

JOHNS HOPKINS 10, HARVARD 9

Harvard demonstrated its ability to compete with—but not defeat—its competitors on Saturday afternoon.

Burmeister was sidelined and freshman goalie Jay Connelly took the cage. His defensive play kept the Crimson competitive, but the offense could not muster enough strength to overpower Johns Hopkins.

“[Jay’s] really consistent,” Burmeister said, “he makes all the blocks he should be making and a few more.”

Despite trailing throughout, the Crimson was constantly able to put pressure on the Johns Hopkins lead. But as soon as Harvard got close, the sense of urgency vanished and the Crimson was unable to continue to chip away at the lead.

“We definitely had our chances to win,” said Garcia, who notched two goals in the contest.

Freshman David Tune also propelled the Crimson offense, but the team ultimately came up short.

“Even if we’re winning we don’t really put a team away,” Garcia said. “Everything is coming together, we have the skill, we just have to learn to do that better.”

BUCKNELL 10, HARVARD 3

The Crimson’s first game of the ECACs against fifth seed Bucknell was its least competitive contest of the tournament. Harvard came out lacking energy and playing flat, something a high-caliber team like Bucknell could capitalize upon.

“It was the first game and we just let them come out really strong,” Garcia said. “We let them get four quick goals on us.”

Harvard needed solid, consistent, and smart play throughout the game to compete, but lacked the ability to stop Bucknell’s starters.

“We hadn’t seen a team play like them,” Garcia said. “They are definitely one of the best teams we’ve played this year.”

The Crimson was unable to adjust its play or solidify its defense enough to slow its opponent, starting off the tournament on an ominous note.

Harvard will need to improve and play a more consistent game in order to defeat Brown in its next contest.

Garcia was confident the team has the potential to win close games like these in the future.

“Our mindset is there and we know it’s an important game,” Garcia said. “If we’re in a situation like we were today, we know we’ll be able to get past that point of letting them get back in it.”

—Staff writer Megha Parekh can be reached at parekh@fas.harvard.edu.

Men's Water Polo