Nothing Fishy in Eating Fish

By Erin F. Riley, Contributing Writer

An apple a day keeps the doctor away, but a Harvard School of Public Health (HSPH) study released yesterday says a dish of fish also performs swimmingly.

Lead author Dariush Mozaffarian and his colleague, Eric B. Rimm, have concluded that the nutritional benefits of fish far outweigh qualms over the chemicals they may contain.

Over the past year, Mozaffarian, an HSPH instructor in epidemiology, and Rimm, a HSPH associate professor, waded through research on the nutritive effects of fish.

“There had been a lot of media attention...over the potential risks associated with contaminants that are found in fish, such that people were reducing the amount of fish they consumed,” said Rimm.

According to Rim, the media inflated a study published two years ago highlighting harmful dioxins and PCBs in some fish.

These chemicals do exist in fish, but account for only 9% of their total presence in the US food supply, according to the HSPH study.

Rimm also said that the hazards of fish-eating primarily apply to people in a susceptible stage of life and those who overindulge fish cravings.

But even they should only be wary of “fish that are particularly high in mercury like swordfish or king mackerel,” according to Rimm.

The study also shows pronounced alimentary rewards from fish, mainly their protein and omega-3 fatty acids. The researchers emphasized two statistics related to seafood intake: a 36% decrease in the risk of death from heart disease and a 17% reduction in total mortality. Only two servings of fish a week are requisite to garner these benefits.

Though this study may give relief to some, Harvard students don’t seem to have bitten the media’s fish-denouncing bait.

“Student demand for seafood, especially fish, has really climbed over the last year,” said Crista Martin, assistant director of Harvard University Dining Services (HUDS).

HUDS has served 130,000 pounds of seafood in the past year and offers fish 19 times a month.

“Every time they have fish I eat it. I’m mostly vegetarian and fish are my meat of preference,” said Morgan Mallory ’09.

Her table-mate, Anthony Micallef ’09, said he would prefer “more variety” in the fish selection.

And more fish variety is exactly what HUDS has cooking. Martin said that Lawrence R. Kessel, HUDS executive chef, has worked to create a broader seafood menu.

Mozaffarian and Rim probably wouldn’t recommend dropping a line in the Charles, but would certainly approve a serving of dining hall Mahi Mahi.