Ghouls and Goblins

Looking to take a lighthearted daytrip with the blockmates in honor of the upcoming Pagan holy day? If so, you
By Teddy R. Sherrill

Looking to take a lighthearted daytrip with the blockmates in honor of the upcoming Pagan holy day? If so, you happen to be in luck—New England contains some of the campiest Halloween entertainment in the history of ever.

Witch’s Woods in Westford, Mass. features a haunted hayride, two haunted houses—a medieval castle and an abandoned mansion—and a mysterious attraction called the “3-D Keeper’s Crypt,” which the website solemnly promises will elevate visitors to “a whole new dimension in terror.” The venue, which supposedly used to house a coven of witches but is now overrun by a slew of supernatural “creatures of the night,” also boasts a comprehensive jack-o-lantern gallery in which pumpkins are carved to look like famous characters from American horror movies.

Admission is $22—quite a pretty penny! And grab a friend’s car—Witch’s Woods is located in Westford near the Nashoba Valley Ski Area. http://www.witchswoods.com.

Spook-seekers with a taste for the gargantuan should also consider Haunted Overload (“an extravaganza that overloads the senses”) in Exeter, N.H. around an hour’s drive from Harvard Square. Listed as one of the top 13 Haunted Houses in 2006 by industry e-rag HauntWorld, the House draws crowds from around New England with its giant 30-foot monster scarecrow and massive pumpkin collection. It also features a website (http://www.hauntedoverload.com) that looks like it was made by a bored fifth grader in computer class circa 1995.

Those hoping to find seasonal entertainment while avoiding long-distance travel can check out local haunt Spooky World. Located in Boston’s Bayside Exposition Center, Spooky World combines a cozy New England feel (there are still pumpkins and mansions) with the extravagance and spectacle of the urban Northeast by offering special events and celebrity guests such as Butch Patrick—TV’s Eddie Munster—and WWE Superstar Kane. With thrills like “International Monster Museum” and “The Experiment” and showcasing the magic of Gifford and Roy, Spooky World is certainly not, as its website proudly proclaims, “nothing more than monsters jumping out.”

Take the red line to UMass/JFK. Expo Center is at 200 Mount Vernon St.

If you can’t find the time or the transportation to venture out of Cambridge in search of Halloween fun before the big day, don’t despair. Sometimes a weekend at Harvard can be the most ghoulish experience of all!